UNION COUNTY — There are now 200 girls ages 2-18 signed up for Union County Dixie Girls for the 2017 season but even more will have the opportunity to sign-up between now and Feb. 28.
For the past two weekends, Union County Dixie Girls has held sign-ups at the Union County Recreation Department on Thomas Street near downtown Union.
Dixie Girls Secretary Kristy Garner said Monday that after the most recent sign-up this past weekend, there are now 200 girls signed up to play this year.
Even though the special sign-up events are now over, Garner said that families with daughters who want to play on a Dixie Girls softball team still have time get them signed up.
“We are allowing sign-ups through the end of February,” Garner said. “They will have to be signed up at the State Farm office next to Little Caesar’s.”
Garner said that parents who want to sign their daughters up for Dixie Girls must bring with them their daughter’s birth certificate and the $60 filing fee.
Dixie Girls is for girls ages 2-18 who compete in the following age-based leagues:
• Ages 2, 3, and 4 — Tee Ball
• Ages 4, 5, and 6 — Coach’s Pitch
• Ages 7 and 8 — Coach’s Pitch
• Ages 9 and 10 — Fast Pitch
• Ages 11 and 12 — Fast Pitch
• Ages 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, and 18 — Fast Pitch
The State Farm office where the sign-ups will take place through Tuesday, Feb. 28 is located at 408 North Duncan Bypass, Union. The office is open Monday-Friday from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. For more information about signing up your daughter for Union County Dixie Girls call 864-427-5634.
Once sign-ups are done, Draft Day will be next and a flier issued by Dixie Girls about the event states that if their child is entering or is electing to reenter the draft this year, parents should know the following:
• Draft Day is Saturday, March 4 at the Timken Sports Complex.
• Any girl declaring as a pitcher or catcher needs to be at the Sports Complex by no later than 9:45 a.m. to sign-in.
• All other players (non-pitcher/catcher) should be at the Sports Complex by no later than 10:30 a.m. to sign-in.
• Pitcher/Catcher Draft starts promptly at 10 a.m.
• Non-Pitcher/Catcher draft starts promptly at 11 a.m.
• Players that are moving to a different age league this year must enter the draft.
• Any player that does not participate in the draft will be randomly assigned to a team (no exceptions).
Draft Day will be followed by Opening Day which will be Saturday, April 8 at 10 a.m. at the Timken Sports Complex.
For more information about Union County Dixie Girls see upcoming editions of The Union Times and go online at our website (www.uniondailytimes.com) and our Facebook page.
Charles Warner can be reached at 864-762-4090.