UNION COUNTY — The latest production by the Union County High School GT Drama Class is a play about “Some Pig” and his best friend, a spider.
On Tuesday, elementary school students from Buffalo Elementary School and Jonesville Elementary/Middle School gathered in the cafetorium at Union County High School for a special treat: the UCHS GT Drama Class production of the stage adaptation of the 1952 children’s novel, “Charlotte’s Web.”
Written by E.B. White — author of “Stuart Little” — and illustrated by Garth Williams, Charlotte’s Web tells the story of a pig named “Wilbur” and his friendship with a spider named “Charlotte.” The runt of a litter, Wilbur, is about to be slaughtered by the farmer who owns him, John Arable, but his life is saved by Arable’s daughter, Fern, who begs her father to spare the piglet’s life and let her raise it. Fern gives the piglet his name and raises him until her father sells him to her uncle, Homer Zuckerman, who takes Wilbur to his farm.
At his new home, Wilbur is snubbed by all the other animals except for a spider named Charlotte who lives in a web overlooking Wilbur’s enclosure. Wilbur soon learns, however, that he is to be slaughtered, but Charlotte hatches a plan to save him, spinning messages praising Wilbur in her web, including “Some Pig.” Charlotte also recruits a rat named Templeton to assist her in her efforts to save Wilbur’s life.
The novel has been adapted for the movies including including a 1973 animated big screen version, a 2003 direct-to-video sequel, and a 2006 live action/animated motion picture; as a stage musical; and even as a video game.
It also served as the basis for a non-musical stage production written by Joseph Robinette. This adaptation is the production being performed by the UCHS GT Drama Class under the direction of Ralph Lawson.
Lawson, who teaches Drama at UCHS, said that the students will present daytime performances of the play at the school on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday for elementary students from throughout the Union County School District. He said there will also be an evening production at the UCHS cafetorium on Friday at 7 p.m. Friday’s performance is open to the public.
Tickets to Friday’s show are currently on sale at the UCHS Main Office for $5. They will also be available at the door for $6.
The cast of Charlotte’s Web and the characters they play are:
• Fern Arable — Daytona Caldwell
• Johh Arable, her father — Bobby Bedore
• Martha Arable, her mother — Laura Parris*
• Avery Arable, her brother — Spencer Woodall
• Homer Zuckerman, her uncle — Jack James
• Edith Zuckerman, her aunt — Kayleigh Miller*
• Lurvy, a hired hand — Madyson Russell
• Wilbur, a pig — Kasie Roark*
• Templeton, a rat — Asia Tucker
• Charlotte, a spider — Claire Pridemore
• Goose — Caroline Gallman
• Gander — Jordan Clevenger
• Sheep 1 — Morgan Heatherly*
• Sheep 2 — Carson Hickson
• Lamb 1/Spectator — Alex Belue
• Lamb 2/Spectator — Sarah Stanton
• Uncle, a pig/Reporter/Judge — Jerimey Kirby
• Narrator/Reporter — Alyssa Crocker
• Narrator/Photographer — Jordan Morris
• Narrator/Announcer — Jenna Bright
• Joy, a baby spider — Calee Childers
• Aranea, a baby spider — Sophie Jolly
• Nellie, a baby spider — Eva Jolly
Members of the GT Drama Class are also handling the duties of the various crews that handle the behind the scenes parts of the production.
• Stage Manager — Ty Browning*
• Assistant Stage Manager — Cassidy Pridemore*
• Lighting Crew — Courtney Garner*, Haley Jett*
• Sound Crew — Brindia Nunn, Kinsleigh Spencer*
• Par Light Control — Alex Byers
• Properties — Sarah All*
• Stage Crew — Raygan Angle, Larissa Horne, Bailey Long, Emily Lemons
• Makeup — Alex Byers, Larissa Horner, Kinsleigh Spencer*
• Child Wranglers — Nicolette Brown, Peighton Berry
* Denotes a member of The International Thespian Society, Union County High School Troupe #1537, an honor society for secondary theatre students.
Charles Warner can be reached at 864-762-4090.