Monday, Aug. 3
• The Union County First Steps Partnership Board holds its regular meeting at 5:15 p.m. at the Union County Schools District Office Annex located at 120 Lakeside Drive in Union. The public is invited to attend.
Anyone wishing to attend that requires special assistance due to a disability is encouraged to contact Mrs. Catherine M. Childers, Executive Director at 864-429-1740, Ext. 134 prior to the start of the meeting.
Tuesday, Aug. 4
• The Alzheimer’s Support Group holds its monthly meeting at 5:30 p.m. in the parlor of Grace United Methodist Church. Caregivers and anyone interested in the care of Alzheimer’s patients are welcome to attend. For more information call Ann Canada at 864-429-0505.
• The Union County Beekeepers Association meets at 6 p.m. in the Clemson Extension Meeting Room at the fairgrounds. All members are encouraged to attend the state meeting in Clemson July 23, 24 and 25. You can register to attend online.
Light refreshments are served at 6 p.m. and the program begins at 6:30 p.m.
Everyone interested in bees is encouraged to attend.
Clemson University Cooperative Extension Service offers its programs to people of all ages, regardless of race, color, gender, religion, national origin, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, marital or family status and is an equal opportunity employer.
Saturday, Aug. 8
• Betsy & Company along with the Over the Hill Gang Relay for Life Team presents a 1 day trip to Harrah’s Cherokee Casino. First pick up at 8:15 a.m. at the Jonesville Municipal Building and second pick up at 8:50 a.m. at the old Walmart parking Lot. If interested contact Betsy at 864-674-6799.
• The Piedmont Physic Garden hosts a “Write Yourself” workshop which will be held in conjunction with the Union Carnegie Library. This workshop will feature award-winning poetry and non-fiction writer, Maureen Ryan Griffin.
This workshop is for anyone interested in writing about our natural world and the numerous ways it can enrich and inspire our lives. Overall, this will be an opportunity to explore creative writing in general whether it is journaling, memoir, poetry, fiction and/or nonfiction.
According to Griffin, participants will learn and practice a number of fun, easy tools and methods to help your words flow, whatever your particular interest. Whether you have published widely, sometimes write in a journal, or haven’t written anything since your senior year of high school, you will enjoy this lively, informative workshop.
Griffin has taught the art and craft of writing for more than twenty years through a wide variety of venues, including Queens University and Central Piedmont Community College in Charlotte; the John Campbell Folk School in Brasstown, North Carolina; and the Chautauqua Institution in Western New York. She offers individual coaching and critique, as well as a wide selection of retreats, workshops, and classes, through her business, WordPlay (www.wordplaynow.com).
Griffin’s work has appeared in numerous publications, including Catalyst, Calyx, Chelsea, Cincinnati Poetry Review, The Charlotte Observer, and The Texas Review. She is the author of Spinning Words into Gold, a Hands-‐On Guide to the Craft of Writing, a grief workbook entitled I Will Never Forget You, and three poetry books, including her new collection, Ten Thousand Cicadas Can’t Be Wrong.
To register, please email us at email@example.com or call us at 864-‐427-‐2556. The cost for the “Write Yourself” workshop is $20. Space is limited.
PPG is a 501 (c) (3) organization whose mission is horticultural and environmental education for children, teens and adults in Union County and the surrounding Piedmont region of South Carolina.
Tuesday, July 14
• Lockhart Fire District will hold a special meeting at the Lockhart Town Hall for the purpose of discussing a tax millage increase for the district. The tax increase will be for the purchase of a new Class A pumper. All interested residents of the Lockhart Fire District are invited to attend.
Tuesday, July 28
• The Sims High School Class of 1966 holds a meeting at 7 p.m. in the City of Union Municipal Building on North Herndon Street. The class meets the fourth Tuesday of every month.
Friends On Main Open Fridays
Great News! Friends on Main, 126 East Main Street, is open every Friday from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Bring a box and shop!
Potters Storehouse 2015 Schedule
The Potters Storehouse will hold its 2015 food distributions on the following dates:
Wednesday, Aug. 12
Wednesday, Aug. 26
Wednesday, Sept. 9
Wednesday, Sept. 23
Wednesday, Oct. 14
Wednesday, Oct. 28
Wednesday, Nov. 11
Wednesday, Nov. 24
Wednesday, Dec. 9
Wednesday, Dec. 19
Distribution time for each event will be 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
In case of bad weather, snow or ice, The Potters Storehouse will follow the Union County School District schedule (delays/closings).
For more information call Pastor Don Moore at 864-680-3465.
Volunteers are needed.
The Jonesville Town Festival Committee is looking for volunteers to help with the festival which will take place on Sept. 19, 2015. Also, if there are any vendors that are interested in reserving booths, feel free to contact Randy Spencer at 864-426-2219 or Betsy Thompson at 674-6799. This is a community function. All are welcome. We will look forward to hearing from you.
The Jonesville High School Class of 1973 is planning their 43rd class reunion. If interested in attending contact Dianne West at 674-0994 or Barbara Baldwin at 429-1262 and leave a message.
• The Union Lions Club is collecting used/unwanted eyeglasses, hearing aids and cell phones. There is a collection box outside of the Lions Club building, located at 134 E. Main Street, Union. Donated items are refurbished and donated to those in need or sold for money that directly benefits those in need of hearing and vision services. Questions? Contact Lion Kelli Johnston at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Union County Arts Council hosts “Painting with Coffee” each Tuesday from 10 a.m.-noon at the UCAC gallery on Main Street in Union. Whether you are a beginner, or a lifelong artists join us every Tuesday morning at 10 a.m.!Come join in and work on your art project while you enjoy spending time, and having coffee, with other like-minded artists. For more information call UCAC at 864-429-2817 or email email@example.com.
• The Union County Arts Council hosts Corky Canvas every Friday at 6 p.m. Who needs a FUN night out? All you need are a few friends, a favorite drink, and we provide the rest! Our very talented teacher, Brandy Ketterman will help you create a masterpiece to take home! Each week we will have a different theme. $30 members/$35 non-members Please pre-register.
Items for Community Calendar can be submitted to The Union Daily Times by email to UDTnews@civitasmedia.com, by fax to 864-427-1237, by mail to Community Calendar, 100 Times Boulevard, Union, S.C. 29379 or in person at our office, 100 Times Boulevard in Union. Items will run on a space available basis.