The Union County Carnegie Library weekly Adult Summer Reading Contest drawing was done by Superhero SSG Ronnie Howell. SSG Howell is stationed at the Armory here in Union and he drew the two winners for the week. Here he draws the winning names from a box held by Union County Carnegie Library Director Ben Loftis. The two winners for the week are Linda Ivey and Wanda Ward.
Thursday, July 9
• Torrington/Timken Retirees meets at 6 p.m. at Midway BBQ.
Saturday, July 11
• The Carlisle Finishing Group, formerly Cone Mills, meets at 9 a.m. at Midway BBQ for breakfast. All retirees and former employees are welcome. We will have Amanda Knowles of Hospice Care South Carolina sing for the group. For more information call 466-5276.
Monday, July 13
• The Commissioners of the Housing Authority of Union will meet at 5:30 p.m. at 201 Porter Street.
Tuesday, Aug. 4
• The Union County Beekeepers Association meets at 6 p.m. in the Clemson Extension Meeting Room at the fairgrounds. All members are encouraged to attend the state meeting in Clemson July 23, 24 and 25. You can register to attend online.
Light refreshments are served at 6 p.m. and the program begins at 6:30 p.m.
Everyone interested in bees is encouraged to attend.
Clemson University Cooperative Extension Service offers its programs to people of all ages, regardless of race, color, gender, religion, national origin, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, marital or family status and is an equal opportunity employer.
Tuesday, July 14
• Lockhart Fire District will hold a special meeting at the Lockhart Town Hall for the purpose of discussing a tax millage increase for the district. The tax increase will be for the purchase of a new Class A pumper. All interested residents of the Lockhart Fire District are invited to attend.
Friends On Main Open Fridays
Great News! Friends on Main, 126 East Main Street, is open every Friday from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Bring a box and shop!
Potters Storehouse 2015 Schedule
The Potters Storehouse will hold its 2015 food distributions on the following dates:
Wednesday, July 8
Wednesday, July 22
Wednesday, Aug. 12
Wednesday, Aug. 26
Wednesday, Sept. 9
Wednesday, Sept. 23
Wednesday, Oct. 14
Wednesday, Oct. 28
Wednesday, Nov. 11
Wednesday, Nov. 24
Wednesday, Dec. 9
Wednesday, Dec. 19
Distribution time for each event will be 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
In case of bad weather, snow or ice, The Potters Storehouse will follow the Union County School District schedule (delays/closings).
For more information call Pastor Don Moore at 864-680-3465.
Volunteers are needed.
The Jonesville Town Festival Committee is looking for volunteers to help with the festival which will take place on Sept. 19, 2015. Also, if there are any vendors that are interested in reserving booths, feel free to contact Randy Spencer at 864-426-2219 or Betsy Thompson at 674-6799. This is a community function. All are welcome. We will look forward to hearing from you.
The Jonesville High School Class of 1973 is planning their 43rd class reunion. If interested in attending contact Dianne West at 674-0994 or Barbara Baldwin at 429-1262 and leave a message.
• The Union Lions Club is collecting used/unwanted eyeglasses, hearing aids and cell phones. There is a collection box outside of the Lions Club building, located at 134 E. Main Street, Union. Donated items are refurbished and donated to those in need or sold for money that directly benefits those in need of hearing and vision services. Questions? Contact Lion Kelli Johnston at [email protected]
• The Union County Arts Council hosts “Painting with Coffee” each Tuesday from 10 a.m.-noon at the UCAC gallery on Main Street in Union. Whether you are a beginner, or a lifelong artists join us every Tuesday morning at 10 a.m.! During the month of May the group will focus on Plein Air Drawing with Sharon Thompson (Trips will be made to different locations.) Come join in and work on your art project while you enjoy spending time, and having coffee, with other like-minded artists. For more information call UCAC at 864-429-2817 or email [email protected]
• The Union County Arts Council hosts Corky Canvas every Friday at 6 p.m. Who needs a FUN night out? All you need are a few friends, a favorite drink, and we provide the rest! Our very talented teacher, Brandy Ketterman will help you create a masterpiece to take home! Each week we will have a different theme. $30 members/$35 non-members Please pre-register.
Items for Community Calendar can be submitted to The Union Daily Times by email to [email protected], by fax to 864-427-1237, by mail to Community Calendar, 100 Times Boulevard, Union, S.C. 29379 or in person at our office, 100 Times Boulevard in Union. Items will run on a space available basis.