UNION — Congratulations to the following 8th graders in Union County School District who have achieved the South Carolina Junior Scholar Award for the school year 2015-2016.
Jonesville Middle School
• Dayton Caldwell, son of Vicki Caldwell
Sims Middle School
• Trey Best, son of Hope Cates
• Chaniah Brown, daughter of Reggie Walker and Catrina Brown
• Garrison Hendrix, son of Kevin and Heather Hendrix
• Austin Millwood, son of Jason and April Millwood
• Robert Sanders, son of Robert and Angel Sanders
• Katherine Wagner, daughter of Stewart Wagner and Christy Kincheloe
• Spencer Woodall, son of Tim and Kristi Woodall
The students were selected as South Carolina Junior Scholars by scoring 550 or higher on the Evidence Based Reading and Writing section of the PSAT/NMSQT or by scoring 530 or higher on the Math section. Additionally, Duke Tip participants who were identified and recognized at either the Grand Recognition Ceremony or the State Recognition Ceremony during their 7th grade year automatically qualified to become a 2015-16 SC Junior Scholar.
As recipients of this honor, the students will be recognized in local award ceremonies and will receive an Award of Merit from the State Department of Education.
The South Carolina Junior Scholars Identification and Development Program, begun in the 1985-86 school year, reflects the growing statewide effort to improve education in South Carolina and responds to the needs of students possessing unique abilities. The purpose of the program is to identify students with exceptionally high scholastic achievement and intellectual ability and to provide opportunities for these students that will facilitate their intellectual growth, broaden their individual interests, and promote their scholastic achievement. Such opportunities are provided during the academic school year or summer following identification in the eighth grade and continue throughout the high school years.