UNION — The historic Episcopal Church of the Nativity was the location of the November 10, 2015, meeting of the Union Music Club. Club President Tommy Bishop opened the meeting welcoming all members and, especially, honored guests.
First, refreshments were enjoyed by all, and President Bishop thanked the host and hostesses, Mrs. James Stepp, and Mr. and Mrs. Jack Kelly. Then, the evening musical program was introduced in the church sanctuary.
A string quartet consisting of Mr. John Kvasnicka and three students, Les Wentz, Mary Scarborough, and Delaney Duckett, entertained the audience with several musical compositions, including some composed by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Mr. Kvasnicka is the orchestra director for the Union County School District. This wonderful program was thoroughly enjoyed by all in attendance.
The business meeting for club members was then conducted after the musical program ended. The members recited the Invocation and the Federation Collect, and the Federation Hymn was sung. Then, the members sang the song of the month entitled “When Johnny Comes Marching Home” from the “Together We Sing” song book.
A thank you note from Mrs. Ola Jean Kelly, director of the Union County Museum, was read thanking the club for a donation. The minutes of the previous meeting were read by the recording secretary, Miss Sally Summers. These minutes were approved, and the treasurer, Rev. Sanders Read, presented the treasurer’s report.
The upcoming Christmas meeting was then discussed. This dinner meeting will be held on December 8, 2015, at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Jack Kelly. Members were reminded to bring a musical Christmas ornament to this December meeting.
President Bishop read another portion of the Club by-laws from page 26 to page 28. Then, local events coming up in the near future were mentioned.
• The Episcopal Church of the Nativity is sponsoring “Angel Trees” which provides gifts for the children of inmates.
• The Union County Museum will host a Christmas music program from the Civil War era at the Cross Keys House on December 5.
• There will be a Community Thanksgiving service on November 24 at Grace United Methodist Church at 7 p.m.
• The Grace Church Chancel Choir will present their Christmas Cantata on December 6 during the worship service.
• The Presbyterian College Christmas music program will be held December 4, 5, and 6. We were encouraged to attend in support of our scholarship winner, Evan Haney, a student at that college.
President Bishop adjourned the meeting after the singing of the Benediction song entitled “The Gift of Song” by Lana M. Bailey.
This story was submitted by the Union Music Club.