Union Daily Times

CCA helping with cooling bills

UNION COUNTY — The Union County Office of Carolina Community Actions, Inc. (CCA) is currently taking applications to assist low-income families with home energy cooling bills and a variety of other programs and services.

Households may be assisted with home energy bills, HVAC unit repairs or replacements, and air conditioner units. Other programs and services include rental assistance, General Education Degrees (GED), tuition for Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA), job training, child care, medical prescriptions, nutrition education and food vouchers.

Appointments are scheduled Monday through Thursday, from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. at 201 East Main Street, Union. Family households must be income eligible and provide documentation to qualify. For more information, please call the Union County Community Actions office at 864-427-0336.

Carolina Community Actions, Inc. LIHEAP (Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program) and GEAP (General Emergency Assistance Program) is funded through the Department of Health and Human Services and administered through the Office of Economic Opportunity (OEO) in Columbia, SC. CCA is a private non-profit corporation whose mission is to promote self-reliance of low-income individual and families by forming partnerships which will provide a systematic reduction of the causes and conditions of poverty.

Required documentation for program assistance:

• Non-Emergency Assistance (No past due bill)

1. A valid South Carolina picture ID with current address

2. Social Security cards for all household members

3. Proof of total gross household income for the last 30 days:

— Weekly, Bi-weekly, Semi-monthly or Monthly check stubs

— 2018 Social Security Benefits Award Letter (verification must be provided if disabled)

— Child Support income documentation

4. Current unpaid energy bill (must be in the name of the applicant or a household member)

• Emergency Utility and/or HVAC Assistance

Above Items 1 thru 3:

5. Current and past due energy bills from utility vendor

6. A receipt indicating disallowed fees on the energy bill are paid i.e. water, sewer, sanitation, outdoor lights, round up fees, etc.

• Rent and Water Assistance

Above Items 1 and 3:

4. A current Eviction Notice

5. A current and complete copy of the Lease Agreement (must include the names of all household members)

For income eligible family households

Special to The Union Times