Storytime With Santa
Union County First Steps will hold its annual “Storytime with Santa” program at 11 a.m. this Thursday (December 14) at the Union Housing Authority Community Center at 201 Porter Street, Union.
Storytime with Santa is for children ages birth-5 years old who, accompanied by their parents/guardians will have a Christmas story read to them Laura Wade, Executive Director of Union County First Steps. Then, together with their parents/guardians and First Steps staff will do crafts, making an item related to the Christmas story they’ve just heard.
Next, the children, their parents/guardians, and First Steps staff will sing Christmas songs together.
Santa Claus will then arrive to spend time with the children, hearing their Christmas wishes and presenting each of them with a small gift.
‘Twelve Days Of Christmas’ Continues
UCARE’s “Twelve Days of Christmas” fundraiser continues this week giving the public the opportunity to help the less needy while also getting a chance at winning $100.
The Union County Aid and Relief Effort or UCARE is an organization of employees of Union County who for the more than a decade have worked to help the less fortunate of the community throughout the year. Its main fundraising event is the Twelve Days of Christmas in which raffle tickets are sold by county employees and other charitable groups. Each person who buys a ticket not only gets to help UCARE help the less fortunate, they also get a chance to have their name drawn during the Twelve Days of Christmas and win $100.
The Twelve Days of Christmas runs through Thursday, December 1 with a drawing each day on WBCU Radio AM 1460 or FM 103.5 and each day’s winner announced at 9:05 a.m. There is only one winner each day of the Twelve Days of Christmas.
Tickets are now on sale at a cost of $1 a ticket or $5 for six tickets and will remain on sale through Wednesday, December 20.
Tickets can now be purchased at the Union County Courthouse, Union County Airport, Union County Stadium, Timken Sports Complex, and WBCU.
UCARE is looking for other charitable groups to help sell the tickets in order to sell as many as possible and raise as much money as possible. Every charitable group that assists in this effort will get to keep 50 percent of the proceeds of their sales.
Charitable groups interested in helping sell the tickets are urged to call Sue Cudd or Ronnie Wade at 429-1680.
December At The UCAC
The following events and activities will be held at the UCAC Art Gallery on Main Street in downtown Union this month.
• Painting with Coffee — Whether you are a beginner, or a lifelong artists join us every Tuesday morning at 10 a.m.
• Writers Group — Local Writers will meet Tuesday, December 12 at 6 a.m. This is open to everyone!
• Monday Night Music — Looking for something new to do? Join us Monday, December 18 at 6:30 p.m. for a night full of local, musical talent!
• Local Artists Showcase — Stop by our gallery to browse the local art that is on display this holiday season. We have pieces from several different Union County Artists, all of which are for sale! This is the perfect opportunity for you to purchase a unique Christmas gift for that hard to buy for person!
• Mini Monet — All children Kindergarten-5th grade are welcome to join us for a morning of creativity Saturday, December 16 from 9 a.m.-11 p.m. $15 members/$20 non-members.
For more information contact Amber at 864-429-2817.
Head Start Registration
Carolina Community Actions, Inc., Head Start has openings for children ages 3 and 4 for the 2017-2018 program year.
Head Start serves children from low-income families and children with disabilities. Children with disabilities, including emotional, intellectual, and physical (visual, hearing, speech, crippling and other chronic impairments), are eligible regardless of their family income level. Services provided by Head Start include education, nutrition, medical, dental, social services, transportation, parent involvement, and special education services.
CCA Early Head Start/Head Start participates in the USDA Child Care Food Program and breakfast and lunch are served to the Head Start children and formula, breakfast, and lunch are served to the Early Head Start children at no cost to the families and without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, or disabilities.
A legal birth certificate, certificate of immunization, proof of income for the 2016 calendar year, and social security numbers of all persons in household must be provided when you apply.
The Early Head Start/Head Start Center in Union County is located at the Jonesville Head Start Center, 514 Alman Street, Jonesville. For further information and/or to make an appointment please call 864-674-6014.
Union County School Board Meeting Dates
These are the 2018 Union County School Board of Trustees meeting dates.
• January 22, 2018 — Lockhart School
• February 26, 2018 — Sims Middle School
• March 26, 2018 — Union County High School
• April 23, 2018 — Union County Career and Technology Center
• May 21, 2018 — Union County Career and Technology Center (Retiree Banquet)
• June 11, 2018 — Union County Career and Technology Center
• June 25, 2018- Union County Career and Technology Center
(Meet if Budget has not been approved)
• July 23, 2018 — Union County Career and Technology Center
• August 27, 2018 — Monarch Elementary School
• September 24, 2018 — Buffalo Elementary School
• October 22, 2018 — Foster Park Elementary School
• November 26, 2018 — Jonesville Elementary Middle School
• December 10, 2018 — Union County Career and Technology Center
All board meetings are held at 6 p.m. and additional meetings can be scheduled if needed.
The public and media will be notified if location or times change 24 hours prior to meetings.
2017 Union County Council Meeting Dates
These are the 2018 Union County Council meeting dates. All meetings will be held the second Tuesday of each month at 5:30 p.m. The meetings will be held in the Grand Jury Room of the Union County Courthouse unless otherwise noted.
• January 9, 2018
• February 13, 2018
• March 13, 2018
• April 10, 2018
• May 8, 2018 at Lockhart Power Company
• June 19, 2018 (Primary on June 12.)
• July 10, 2018
• August 14, 2018
• September 11, 2018 at Carlisle Town Hall
• October 9, 2018
• November 13, 2018 at Jonesville Town Hall
• December 11, 2018