UNION COUNTY — The 2017 Union County Agricultural Fair comes to an end tonight, but not before some lucky fairgoer wins themselves a new car.
The Union County Agricultural Fair was first held in 1908, beginning a tradition of providing residents of the community and visitors to Union County with nearly a week’s worth of family-friendly fun that also served as a showcase for local agriculture. More than a century later, the fair continues to do just that, but over the course of the past 109 years there have been changes with activities and events added to the fair, then discontinued, only to be revived, sometimes many years later.
That’s the case with this year’s fair which, for the first time since 1979, will feature the give away of a car, in this case a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu LT provided by WT’s of Jonesville. The car will be given away tonight at 8:30 p.m. on this, the final night of the fair. The admission fairgoers pay at the gate will give them a chance at winning the car, but in order to win a person must be present at the time of the drawing with their ticket stub.
So who will win this, the first car to be given away at the fair in nearly 40 years? We don’t know, but if you’d like to get yourself a new car then go to the fair, purchase a ticket and be there with your stub when the drawing is held. Who knows, you might just win yourself a new car.
Before the drawing, however, there will be plenty to enjoy at the fair including:
• Flores Thrill Show in which performers will ride motorcycles inside a metal globe. Today’s shows will be at 4:30 p.m., 7:30 p.m., and 9:30 p.m.
• Banana Derby in which monkeys riding dogs will race. Race times are 5:30 p.m., 7 p.m., 8:30 p.m., and 10 p.m.
• Lew-E’s Comedy Circus with live comedy performed by Lew-E the clown. The laughter begins at 2:30 p.m., 4 p.m., 6:30 p.m., and 8 p.m.
• Red Dragon Lazer Tag from 5-10 p.m.
• Flower Show until 10 p.m.
• Bingo with plenty of chances for players to win prizes.
• A Beauty Pageant from 3-5 p.m. on the fair stage.
• Musical performances by Monroe Smith and Band from 5-7:30 p.m. and Quest from 7:30 p.m.-9:30 p.m.
Also, Ride Bands will be for sale for $18 from noon-5 p.m. The bands will also be for sale for $20 enabling the person who possess one to ride all day.
Charles Warner can be reached at 864-762-4090.