UNION — Art, culture, and education are a wonderful mix and there was just such a mix last Thursday during the Union County Arts Council’s 2017 Art Exhibition in the Main Building of USC Union.
Each year the UCAC holds an exhibition of the works of local and area artists which are judged by a special juror who selects which of the works included in the exhibition will receive the awards sponsored by local businesses and individuals. The works are exhibited on the walls of the main hall of the Main Building at USC Union for public viewing. The winning paintings are named and the awards presented during the event. A reception allowing those in attendance to socialize while enjoying light refreshments and viewing the paintings on the walls follows the announcing of the awards.
The following paintings by the following artists won the following awards at this year’s exhibition:
• “Ellis Street” by Al Beyer — Arthur State Bank Award
• “Music of the Mind” by Ingrid Carson — Founders Federal Credit Union Award
• “Natvra Morta, Lemoni e Agno” by Anthony Hedrick — Timken Tyger River Plant Award
• “Palmetto Swirls” by Marcia Murray — Mrs. W. J. Whitener Award
• “Divide and Conquer” by Toni Elkins — Mrs. Toccoa W. Switzer Award
• “Bird of Paradise” by Naoko Goldman — Mrs. Nancy L. Wilburn Award
• “Proud” by Barbara O’Neal Davis — Union Family Pharmacy Award
• “Helen” by Todd Baxter — Frank Hart Allstate Insurance Co. Award
• “Board Walk” by Anna K. Singley — McFarland Cascade Corporation Award
• “Late Take Off” by Marcia Murray — People’s Choice Award
The paintinngs are still on display in the main hall of the USC Union Main Building and will remain on display until Nov. 3.
October At The UCAC
The following events and activities will be held at the UCAC Art Gallery on Main Street in downtown Union this month.
• Painting with Coffee — Whether you are a beginner, or a lifelong artists join us every Tuesday morning at 10 a.m.
• Writers Group — Local Writers will meet Tuesday, Oct. 10 at 6 p.m. This is open to everyone!
• Monday Night Music — Looking for something new to do? Join us Monday, Oct. 16 at 6:30 p.m. for a night full of local musical talent!
• Toddler Time — Friday Oct. 27 from 10:30-11:30 a.m. and 12:30-1:30 p.m. will be all about the little ones Any child 4 years old or younger is invited to join us. $5 for members and $10 for non-members
• Mini Monet — Join us on Saturday, Oct. 21 for a morning full of creativity. We will be creating our very own “Full Moon.” This class is open to all students, Kindergarten-5th Grade. $15 members and $20 non-members. You must pre-register for this class.
• Russell Jewell Exhibit — UCAC is honored to have our 2017 Art Exhibition Juror, Russell Jewell fill our gallery with his amazing work. Mr. Jewell is a nationally recognized Plein air painter, published in multiple books and magazines. He is a signature member of the National Watercolor Society and The Transparent Watercolor Society of America. Mr. Jewell has devoted over 30 years as an art educator in the public education system.
• Local Artists Showcase — Can you believe that the holidays are almost here? Now is the time to start preparing your items for our “Local Artists Showcase.” We accept all types of art, paintings, drawings, photography, quilts, pottery, knitting, woodwork, ornaments, jewelry, baskets, crochet, and more! Please contact Amber for more details and to reserve your space.
For more information contact Amber at 864-429-2817
Charles Warner can be reached at 864-762-4090.