UNION COUNTY — Registration for the 2017-2018 school year continues today at Union County High School as the first day of classes draws near.
The first day of classes for students in the 1st through 12th grades will be Thursday, Aug. 17 while 5K students will begin classes Tuesday, Aug. 22 and 4K students Monday, Aug. 28.
Before they can attend classes, however, students must be registered, a process that got under way Tuesday at Union County High School. Registration took place in the school cafetorium where parents and students filled out registration forms and turned the information over to school staff; paid registration fees; got lockers and parking spaces; and signed up for school activities. Seniors registered that morning while juniors registered in the afternoon.
Today it’s the turn of the sophomores who will register this morning from 8-11:45 a.m. and freshmen who will register from 1-4 p.m.
Elementary, Middle School
Registration for elementary and middle school students will be held Monday, Aug. 14 from 8:30-11:30 a.m. and 1:30-4:30 p.m. Parents will register their children at the schools — Buffalo Elementary, Foster Park Elementary, Monarch Elementary, Jonesville Elementary/Middle, and Sims Elementary/Middle — they will be attending.
To facilitate the registration process, the elementary and middle schools will have registration packets available to picked up on the following dates and times:
• Buffalo Elementary School will have registration packets available for early pick up during the week of Aug. 7.
• Foster Park Elementary School will have a “Drive Through” registration pick up on Monday, Aug. 7 between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
• Jonesville Elementary/Middle School has registration packets on their web-site http://unionjems.ss8.sharpschool.com/ and will also have packets for early pick up the week of Aug. 7-10.
• Lockhart School will have registration packets available for pick up starting Tuesday, Aug. 1.
• Monarch Elementary School will have registration packet pick up on Monday, Aug. 7-Thursday, Aug. 10.
• Sims Middle School will host a rising 6th grade orientation on Thursday, Aug. 10 starting at 6 p.m. in the cafeteria. Parents and students are invited and we will share information to help them transition to our school as well as give them an opportunity to meet with their child’s teachers.
If a child is being registered for school for the first time, parents will need to bring the following items to registration:
• Your child’s official certificate of immunization (white card).
• Your child’s Social Security card.
• Your child’s birth certificate with state seal.
• Proof of residence (tax receipt, power bill, etc.).
(Immunizations are given by appointment only at the Union County Health Department. You may call 864-424-8004 to schedule an appointment. Copies of birth certificates may be obtained from the Spartanburg County Health Department in the Office of Vital Records for $12, Monday-Friday, from 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m.)
If, however, your child has previously been registered for school in the Union County School District all you will need to bring at registration is proof of residence.
For more information about registration and other matters related to the start of the new school year contact your child’s school, and also turn to the B section of today’s edition for information on what your child needs in the way of school supplies and how this weekend will be a good time to stock up on those supplies.
Charles Warner can be reached at 864-762-4090.