UNION COUNTY — The beginning of the school year gets closer every day and that means registration packets and registration at the schools, free medical screenings for kindergarten and pre-kindergarten children, and laptops for high school freshmen courtesy of the Union County School District.
Registration At UCHS
Before they can go to school, students must first be registered and the first students to be registered for the 2017-2018 school year in Union County will be the high school students.
Union County High School will hold registration for students in the following grades at the following times on the following dates:
• Seniors — 8-11:30 a.m. — Tuesday, Aug. 1
• Juniors — 1-4 p.m. — Tuesday, Aug. 1
• Sophomores — 8-11:30 a.m. — Wednesday, Aug. 2
• Freshman — 1-4 p.m. — Wednesday, Aug. 2
The classroom of the 21st century is an increasingly high-tech one and that’s why freshmen at Union County High School will be getting laptop computers they can use in the classroom and take home with them to use to study and do homework with.
On Tuesday, Aug. 8 and Wednesday, Aug. 9 members of the Union County School District Technology Department will distribute laptops to all 9th graders at 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. as part of the one-to-one initiative at Union County High School. They will also collect optional insurance payments of $50 for each device at this time.
Elementary, Middle Schools Registration
While the high school students will be the first to register for the new school year, registration for elementary and middle school students won’t be too far behind.
Registration at Buffalo Elementary School, Foster Park Elementary School, Monarch Elementary School, Jonesville Elementary/Middle School, Lockhart Elementary School, and Sims Middle School will be held at each school on Monday, Aug. 14 from 8:30-11:30 a.m. and 1:30-4:30 p.m.
To help make it easier for parents to get their children registered for school, the district’s elementary and middle schools will have registration packet available to picked up on the following dates and times:
• Buffalo Elementary School will have registration packets available for early pick up during the week of Aug. 7.
• Foster Park Elementary School will have a “Drive Through” registration pick up on Monday, Aug. 7 between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
• Jonesville Elementary/Middle School has registration packets on their web-site http://unionjems.ss8.sharpschool.com/ and will also have packets for early pick up the week of Aug. 7-10.
• Lockhart School will have registration packets available for pick up starting Tuesday, Aug. 1.
• Monarch Elementary School will have registration packet pick up on Monday, Aug. 7-Thursday, Aug. 10.
• Sims Middle School will host a rising 6th grade orientation on Thursday, Aug. 10 starting at 6 p.m. in the cafeteria. Parents and students are invited and we will share information to help them transition to our school as well as give them an opportunity to meet with their child’s teachers.
Making sure children are ready for school will be the purpose of a “Free Screening” the Union County School District will provide on Friday, Aug. 18.
The free screening will be for vision, hearing, speech and other developmental problems for children ages three through five years old. Other children not presently enrolled in the public schools may participate.
This screening program will be held from 9 a.m.-12 p.m.. and 1-3 p.m. at Foster Park Elementary School, 901 Arthur Boulevard, Union. A parent or guardian MUST accompany the child. For more information, call 429-1735 or 429-1737.
First Day Of School
All of this, of course it leading up to the return of students to the county’s schools. The first days of school will be on the following days for the following grades:
• Students in the 1st through the 12th grade will report to school on Thursday, Aug. 17.
• 5K students will report to school on Tuesday, Aug. 22.
• 4K students will report to school on Monday, Aug. 28.
Students will not attend school on Monday, Aug. 21 which will be a workday for teachers.
PTO Open House will be held at Lockhart on Tuesday, Sept. 12 at 6 p.m.
For more about the start of the new school year see upcoming editions of The Union Times including our “Back to School” section on Wednesday, Aug. 2.
Charles Warner can be reached at 864-762-4090.