Alayna Downey, the reigning Miss Limestone College, reads the story of Superman to children as they participate in the Carnegie Library’s Coloring Contest that kicked off Summer Reading on Tuesday. May 2, 2015.
Monday, June 8
• Union American Legion Post 22 will hold its monthly meeting in its usual location, the Legion Hut at 120 Scenic Drive in Foster Park in Union. A meal will be served at 6 p.m., there will be a speaker at 6:30 p.m., and the business meeting will follow at 7 p.m. Post 22 meets on the second Monday evening of every month except July, and prospective members are always welcome to attend.
• The Union County Board of School Trustees meets at 7 p.m. in Room 600 of the Union County Career and Technology Center.
Monday, June 8-Friday, June 12
• USC Union will host their annual summer camp for ages 7-12 from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. The cost is $70 per child and that includes lunch, snacks, drinks and all activities. Each day will be filled with a new set of fun and learning activities. To register, please contact Bill Moore at USC Union 424-8037 or [email protected]
Tuesday, June 9
• The Alzheimer’s Support meeting will be held at 5:30 p.m. in the Grace United Methodist Church parlor. Enter through the side door. The topic to be discussed is diet/exercise for the dementia patient.
There will be no July or August meeting. The next support meeting will be held Sept. 8 at 5:30 p.m. in the Grace United Methodist Church parlor.
• Union County Council meets at 5:30 p.m. in the Grand Jury Room of the Union County Courthouse. The public is invited to attend and any persons requiring special assistance to attend should contact the Supervisor’s Office 48 hours prior to the meeting.
• Buffalo American Legion Post 87 meets at 7 p.m. in The Flats. All veterans are welcome.
Thursday, June 11
• The Torrington/Timken Retirees meet at 6 a.m. at Lisa’s in Whitmire.
Saturday, June 13
• Betsy and Company along with the Over the Hill Gang Relay For Life Team presents a 1 day trip to Harrah’s Cherokee Casino. First pickup is at the Jonesville Municipal Building at 8:15 a.m. and the second pickup is at the old Walmart parking lot at 8:50 a.m. All are welcome. If interested contact Betsy at 674-6799.
Sunday, June 14
• Descendants of C. Lester and Martha V. Greer will have their annual reunion at Sardis United Methodist Church in the social hall at 1 p.m. Each family is asked to bring a well-filled basket. Plates, cups and utensils will be furnished.
• The next meeting for the Union County Historical Society will be at 3 p.m. in the meeting room of the museum. The guest speaker will be Lewis O’Shields and he will speak on the recent memorial dedicated to the Vietnam soldiers killed from Union.
Monday, June 22-Friday, June 26
• The Union County High School Drama department will hold its annual DRAMA CAMP from 9 a.m. until noon each day. Open to ages 6 through 12, students will participate in theatre games, creative dramatics activities, and present a short play for parents and guests on Friday, June 26, on the stage at Union County High School.
The camp is taught by UCHS drama teacher, Ralph Lawson. Assistants are Bess Lawson (theatre major at College of Charleston) and Jessie Cantrell (theatre major at Limestone College). Parents can register their children at the main office at Union County High School; the registration deadline is Friday, June 19. The fee is $40.00 per child. For more information call 427-1709.
Activity Fun Camp at USC Union
Have Fun…& Learn
Each day will be filled with a new set of fun and learning activities!
When: June 8-12 from 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
Age Group: 7-12 years old
Location: USC Union Founder’s House (122 North Church St.)
Cost: $70 per child (Includes: Lunch, Snacks, Drinks & all activities)
To Register: Contact Bill Moore at USC Union (864) 424-8037 or email [email protected]
Friends On Main Open Fridays
Great News! Friends on Main, 126 East Main Street, is open every Friday from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Bring a box and shop!
Potters Storehouse 2015 Schedule
The Potters Storehouse will hold its 2015 food distributions on the following dates:
Wednesday, June 10
Wednesday, June 24
Wednesday, July 8
Wednesday, July 22
Wednesday, Aug. 12
Wednesday, Aug. 26
Wednesday, Sept. 9
Wednesday, Sept. 23
Wednesday, Oct. 14
Wednesday, Oct. 28
Wednesday, Nov. 11
Wednesday, Nov. 24
Wednesday, Dec. 9
Wednesday, Dec. 19
Distribution time for each event will be 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
In case of bad weather, snow or ice, The Potters Storehouse will follow the Union County School District schedule (delays/closings).
For more information call Pastor Don Moore at 864-680-3465.
Volunteers are needed.
The Jonesville Town Festival Committee is looking for volunteers to help with the festival which will take place on Sept. 19, 2015. Also, if there are any vendors that are interested in reserving booths, feel free to contact Randy Spencer at 864-426-2219 or Betsy Thompson at 674-6799. This is a community function. All are welcome. We will look forward to hearing from you.
The Jonesville High School Class of 1973 is planning their 43rd class reunion. If interested in attending contact Dianne West at 674-0994 or Barbara Baldwin at 429-1262 and leave a message.
• The Union Lions Club is collecting used/unwanted eyeglasses, hearing aids and cell phones. There is a collection box outside of the Lions Club building, located at 134 E. Main Street, Union. Donated items are refurbished and donated to those in need or sold for money that directly benefits those in need of hearing and vision services. Questions? Contact Lion Kelli Johnston at [email protected]
• The Union County Arts Council hosts “Painting with Coffee” each Tuesday from 10 a.m.-noon at the UCAC gallery on Main Street in Union. Whether you are a beginner, or a lifelong artists join us every Tuesday morning at 10 a.m.! During the month of May the group will focus on Plein Air Drawing with Sharon Thompson (Trips will be made to different locations.) Come join in and work on your art project while you enjoy spending time, and having coffee, with other like-minded artists. For more information call UCAC at 864-429-2817 or email [email protected]
• The Union County Arts Council hosts Corky Canvas every Friday at 6 p.m. Who needs a FUN night out? All you need are a few friends, a favorite drink, and we provide the rest! Our very talented teacher, Brandy Ketterman will help you create a masterpiece to take home! Each week we will have a different theme. $30 members/$35 non-members Please pre-register.
• The Union County Arts Council Art Gallery on Main Street in downtown Union hosts “George Ligon Journey Down Under.” This exhibit includes a large body of landscape photography produced by George Ligon during a summer trip exploring the islands of Australia, Fiji, and New Zealand. Ligon began his career in New York City, specializing in commercial and fashion photography for 27 years. He has since become an active member in the artists community in Greenwood, South Carolina, continuing to ripen his photography and shift his focus to fine art.
The exhibit will be on display through June 28 and a reception will be held Thursday June 11 from 6-8 p.m. at the Art Gallery.
Items for Community Calendar can be submitted to The Union Daily Times by email to [email protected], by fax to 864-427-1237, by mail to Community Calendar, 100 Times Boulevard, Union, S.C. 29379 or in person at our office, 100 Times Boulevard in Union. Items will run on a space available basis.