UNION — Carolina Community Actions (CCA), Inc. has funds available to assist low-income families with a variety of services including heating bills, water, mortgage and rent. CCA also administers a family assessment program to assist individuals with obtaining employment, license for Certified Nursing Assistant, supplies, General Education Degree (GED) and child care.
CCA’s Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) and General Emergency Assistance Program (GEAP), assists eligible households with benefits up to $1,000. Qualification is based on total gross household income during the past 30 days.
The following is the intake schedule and required document information for Union County residents:
Applications for emergency heating (bills with cut-off notice), water, HVAC units, rent and mortgage assistance will be taken from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Thursday, at 201 E. Main St., Suite A, Union.
Applications for non-emergency heating assistance are taken at the following locations throughout Union County. Assistance may be provided up to $750.
Town of Jonesville
Mondays, Nov. 19 and Dec. 3 from 9 a.m. to noon
131 N. Main St., Jonesville
Town of Carlisle
Tuesday, Nov. 20 from 9 a.m. to noon
3911 Fishdam Avenue, Carlisle
Town Of Lockhart
Lockhart Town Hall
Monday, Nov. 26 from 9 a.m. to noon
118 Mill St., Lockhart
Non-Emergency Assistance — LIHEAP (Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program)
1. South Carolina picture ID with current address matching the electric bill address
2. Copy of the current unpaid electric bill (must be in the name of the applicant or household member)
3. A receipt indicating the disallowed charges on the electric bill have been paid.
The following are considered disallowed charges: water, sewer, sanitation, outdoor lights, light/wood poles, city/county fines for late garbage bin pickup, voluntary round-up fees, meter tampering charges, security systems and returned check fees.
4. Social Security cards for all household members
5. Proof of total gross household income for the last 30 days. Documentation for job verification may be required based on employment/unemployment status.
6. Household members 18 years or older with zero income, must have a current printout of
Form 01 and Form 07 from the SC Employment Security Commission and a current job search printout.
7. All Social Security recipients must provide a 2012 Award Letter from the Social Security Administration indicating the monthly benefit. Disabled individuals must provide a BPQY Award Letter.
Emergency Assistance — LIHEAP
1. Above items: 1-7
2. Last two (2) original bills from Utility vendor (a current stamped account history may be required for various vendors)
3. Must provide clear documentation of the emergency which occurred within the last 90 days i.e. decrease in household income, car repairs, proven emergency medical.
4. A receipt or money order for the balance of the amount CCA cannot pay.
Mortgage, Rent, Water Assistance — GEAP (General Emergency Assistance Program)
1. Above items: 1-7
2. Copy of the lease agreement (must include all household members) and the eviction notice from the landlord or magistrate’s office
3. Must provide clear documentation of the emergency which occurred within the last 90 days i.e. decrease in household income, car repairs, emergency medical.
4. Receipt or money order for the balance of the amount CCA cannot pay.
Programs are funded through the Department of Health and Human Services and administered through the Office of Economic Opportunity (OEO) in Columbia, SC.
Carolina Community Actions, Inc. (CCA, Inc.) is a private non-profit corporation whose mission is to promote self-reliance of income eligible individuals and families by forming partnerships which will provide a systematic reduction of the causes and conditions of poverty.
For more information on each program, please contact Carolina Community Actions, Inc. at 864-427-0336.