Roger Bailey, public information officer for the Southside Fire District, said that firefighters were dispatched to the home of Mark and Kathy Williams at 202 Belvue Drive just before 12:30 p.m. Bailey said the couple was not home at the time of the fire but their two dogs were. He said firefighters were able to save one of the animals but the other died from smoke inhalation.
Bailey said firefighters had the blaze under control within 15 minutes and remained on the scene until 2:15 p.m. making sure the fire was extinguished. He said the fire started around a gas water heater and dryer in a utility room. Damage to the house was estimated at $60,000.
The Union Public Safety Department was called in to assist Southside in battling the blaze.