JONESVILLE — A man who went out to get breakfast returned to find his house in flames early Sunday morning.
Chief Michael Brewington of the Jonesville Fire Department said Monday that, according to a report filed by incident commander Capt. D.J. Long, firefighters were dispatched at 6:42 a.m. Sunday in response to a report of a structure fire at 522 Whitlock Lake Road, Jonesville. Brewington said that when the first engine arrived on the scene the house was fully involved. In addition to Jonesville, Brewington said the Bohman and Kelly-Kelton fire departments were also dispatched to the fire. He said firefighters would remain on the scene for 4 1/2 hours but were unable to save the building.
In addition to the fire departments, Brewington said deputies from the Union County Sheriff’s Office and a Union County EMS unit were also dispatched to the scene.
Brewington said no one was in the house at the time of the fire and there were no injuries, but when firefighters arrived on the scene they found the owner waiting for them.
“He called it in, he was standing in the road when the first engine arrived,” Brewington said. “He said he’d put some wood in his wood stove and opened the damper so the smoke would go out the chimney and build the fire. Then he left to go get breakfast and when he got back he found the house was fully involved.”
While the exact cause of the fire has yet to be determined, Brewington said it began in the living room where the wood stove was.
Editor Charles Warner can be reached at 864-427-1234, ext. 14, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.