Other grants support arts projects in the Chesterfield, Fairfield, Laurens and Pickens counties.
“Facing shrinking audiences and donations, South Carolina artists and arts organizations need financial assistance more than ever,” said Suzette Surkamer, executive director of the South Carolina Arts Commission, which was handed a 23.9 budget cut this year.
The Arts Commission awards quarterly project grants to arts organizations and to individual artists in areas where subgranting arts organizations are not present. The grants fund a wide variety of arts projects and programs, and/or for professional development opportunities.
Other grant recipients by county are:
• Chesterfield County, Project Turn Around, $506 to fund a youth arts outreach project
• Fairfield County, Fairfield County Arts Council, $612 to offer the “First Friday Art Experience” monthly art program
• Horry County, Lisa Kimbrell Blayton, $600 to attend a porcelain painting workshop
• Laurens County, Laurens County Chorale, $612 to offer the "Mendelssohn Elijah” performance
• Pickens County, Birchwood Inc., $612 to present the “Prince of Dark Corners” performance and storytelling workshop
The next deadline for Quarterly Project Support grant applications is May 15 for projects beginning July through September 2009. This program is funded in part by the "John and Susan Bennett Memorial Arts Fund" of the Coastal Community Foundation of South Carolina (www.ccfgives.org.) For complete guidelines and eligibility requirements, visit www.SouthCarolinaArts.com or call (803) 734-8696.