The project of constructing new baseball and softball practice fields at Union County High School continues to move forward.
During the last regularly scheduled meeting of the Union County Board of School Trustees on July 23, the board went into an executive session to discuss contractual building issues, and following the session, the board announced that more research was needed before a contract could be awarded for the construction of baseball and softball practice fields at UCHS.
The board did announce that they issued intent to award the contract to the lowest bidder — general contractor Melloul Blamey of Greenville — pending board approval.
Earlier this week, the board called a special meeting which was held Thursday evening. The purpose of the meeting was to consider awarding the contract. The board went into executive session to discuss details of the construction contract, and after returning to open session, a motion was made and approved to award the contract to Melloul Blamey, which was the low bidder for the project at a cost of $804,100.
The next meeting of the Union County Board of School Trustees is scheduled for Monday, Aug. 13 at 7 p.m. in the Union County Career and Technology Center on the UCHS campus.
Summer is drawing to a close, and as it does, the registration process for the 2012-2012 school years gets underway with early registration packet pick-ups followed by registration itself.
Aug. 6-10 Early Registration Packet Pick-up
•Buffalo Elementary 7:30 a.m.-4 p.m.
• Foster Park Elementary 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
• Monarch Elementary 8 a.m.-3 p.m.
• Lockhart School 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
• Jonesville Elementary/Middle School 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
• Sims Middle School 9 a.m.-2 p.m.
• Aug. 7 — UCHS Seniors (12th) 8-11:45 a.m.
• Aug. 7 — UCHS Juniors (11th) 1-4 p.m.
• Aug. 8 — UCHS Sophomores (10th) 8-11:45 a.m.
• Aug. 8 — UCHS Freshman (9th) 1:-4 p.m.
• Aug. 15 — from 8-11:30 a.m. and 1:30-4:30 p.m. — All elementary and middle schools.