JONESVILLE — A fire that gutted a Jonesville area mobile home Wednesday evening may have been the result of an electrical short.
Firefighters from three departments — Jonesville, Bonham, and Kelly-Kelton — were dispatched to the blaze at 860 S. Jonesville Highway, Jonesville, just before 8 p.m. and would remain there for nearly three hours. Despite their best efforts, however, Jonesville Fire Chief Jimmy Wilkins said the blaze gutted the interior of the structure, particularly the bedroom area where the fire is believed to have begun.
“There was a fan on a pedestal in the master bedroom which had been left on,” Wilkins said. “It either shorted out or there may have been something on the cord, but that was where the fire started.”
Wilkins said no one was home when the fire began and the blaze was reported by an emergency responder who noticed it as he drove by and contacted dispatch via radio.
The three fire departments were dispatched to the scene at 7:59 p.m. and would remain there until 10:44 p.m.
Wilkins said he believes the mobile home is a complete loss given the damage caused by the fire.
“The end of the trailer where the bedroom is was pretty much gutted,” Wilkins said. “The rest of the trailer was heavily damaged also. It’s probably a total loss.”
Wilkins said appliances like fans should not be left on when no one is at home.
“Portable equipment like fans and electrical heaters shouldn’t be left on when there’s no one there,” Wilkins said. “Another thing, clothes dryers should not be left on when nobody is there. I’ve been to several fires where either the clothes or the lint in the dryer caught fire.”
While any fire is dangerous and can spread quickly, Wilkins said fires that begin with unattended appliances are especially destructive.
“If they leave something on and they go off there’s nobody there to detect it when it happens,” Wilkins said. “It’s just going to keep burning. Just like in the case last night when there was somebody coming by and the fire was already coming out the windows.”