MONARCH — A Monarch man received minor injuries in a blaze that destroyed his home early Sunday morning, Nov. 28.
The Monarch Fire Department was dispatched to 278 Webber Lake Road in the Monarch community at about 2:30 a.m. Sunday. According to fire chief Dr. John Flood, the mobile home was fully involved in fire upon firefighters' arrival.
The mobile home's occupant, Jeff Wilson, was at home when the fire started and received minor injuries in the blaze. Flood said Wilson was treated by Union County EMS personnel at the scene.
The property is owned by Glenn Sparks.
Flood said the fire was likely started by a portable heating device in the kitchen of the mobile home that malfunctioned.
Firefighters were on scene until about 4:30 a.m. The Bonham and Southside fire departments and Union County EMS also assisted at the scene.
Flood said the mobile home is a complete loss.
Monarch Fire Department Chief Dr. John Flood offered these simple safety tips when it comes to portable heating devices and heaters to help avoid fires:
• Make sure the heater or device is in proper working order.
• Keep heaters and other heating devices away from anything that can easily catch on fire
• Be sure to check the heater or device regularly to make sure it is working correctly and there are no problems.
• Make sure your home's fire alarms and smoke detectors are working properly.