Wednesday, May 8
• Happy Hearts meets at noon at Dawkins.
Thursday, May 9
• The Torrington/Timken Retirees meets at 6 p.m. at Foster Park for a cookout in the picnic area.
Friday, May 10
• Union County Relay For Life is held at 7 p.m. at Union County Fairgrounds.
Saturday, May 11
• The River Rats Baseball Team will hold a car wash and bake sale from 8 a.m.-noon at the parking lot of NAPA Auto Parts, 322 N. Duncan By-Pass, Union. The car wash is $5 per car.
Monday, May 13
• Bell South Pioneers meets at Andy’s at noon.
• The Union County Arts Council’s Writers’ Group meets from 6-8 p.m. at the UCAC Gallery on Main Street in Union. Meeting is open to the public. Call UCAC at 864-429-2817 for more information.
Tuesday, May 14
• Union Music Club holds an open meeting at 6 p.m. at First Presbyterian Church. The program will be presented by the the Gifted Music students of Union County High School directed by Ms. Leigha Pace. There will be performances by Jasmine Sherbert, Boinest Morgan, and Evany Haney. The public is invited to come and enjoy these gifted student performances. There will be no charge.
• American Legion Post 87 meets at 7 p.m. in The Flats.
Thursday, May 16
• Good Neighbors Garden Club meets at 1 p.m. at Andy’s.
Saturday, May 18
• The Carlisle Finishing Retirement Group meets at 9 a.m. for breakfast at Midway. Guest speaker will be Andrena Powell-Baker, executive director of the Union County Development Board, who will make a presentation on proposals to upgrade the Trakas Industrial Site and Union Commerce Park. All retirees and former employees are welcome. For more information call 466-5276.
Monday, May 20
• “Monday Night Music” at the UCAC Gallery on Main Street in Union from 6:30-8:30 p.m. All musicians playing any type of music are invited to attend. The public is invited to listen for free. Call UCAC at 864-429-2817 for more information.
Tuesday, May 21
• Bonham FCL meets at Clemson building at 11 a.m. and then goes to Dawkins to eat together since this is our last meeting until September.
Tuesday, May 21-Wednesday, May 22
• The Wallace Thomson Hospital Volunteers holds a Book & Gift Sale in the hospital lobby from 11 a.m.-4 p.m. and Wednesday, May 22 from 7 a.m.-3 p.m. Come find great gifts and books at affordable prices.
Tuesday, May 28
• U.S. Fifth District Rep. Mick Mulvaney holds a Union County Town Hall from 6-8 p.m. at the USC Union Auditorim, 401 E. Main St., Union.
Thursday, May 30
• The Union County Senior Citizens Club travels to the Catawba Boat Dinner Cruise with departure from the Wal Mart parking lot at 1:30 p.m. Call Patty Morrison at 674-5167, Elaine Bentley at 674-5070 or Doris Faucett at 674-5665 for more information.
• The Union County Arts Council holds an awards reception for the 2013 Photography Contest & Exhibit from 6:30-8 p.m. at the UCAC gallery on Main Street in Union. Call UCAC at 864-429-2817 for more information.
Saturday, June 1
• Union County YWA holds “Back In The Day Retro Fest: A Talent Competition from the 60s to the 70s,” at 6 p.m. at Jonesville High School. Donations of $10 with the proceeds to benefit the Mobile Mammogram for Union County.
Saturday, June 8
• The Union High School Class of 1967 has a class reunion at Veteran’s Park (Foster Park). Dinner and a live band are scheduled. Please contact Wayne Comer at 864-426-0978 for more details.
Saturday, June 29
• “Betsy and Company” presents a one day trip to “Harrah’s Cherokee Casino” Saturday. Departing from Jonesville Municipal Building at 8:30 a.m. and the Old Walmart parking lot at 9 a.m. Proceeds will go to the Relay for Life. For further information please call 864-674-6799.
• The Union County Recreation seeks coaches for T-Ball and Coach Pitch Baseball for its Youth Baseball League. Anyone interested in coaching should come by the recreation department at 111 Thomas St. and fill out a volunteer application and a background check. Call Sam at (864) 429-1670 for more information.
• “Painting with Coffee” meets from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. every Tuesday at the Union County Arts Council’s Gallery on Main Street in Union. Any artist working in any medium can attend this informal group of like-minded artists. Call UCAC at 864-429-2817 for more information.
• The Union County Recreation Department is accepting new students for its After-School Program. Registration fee and weekly fees charged. Students ages 5-12 years old are picked up from Foster Park, Monarch and Buffalo Elementary, and Sims Middle School. We offer homework help, snack, and extra activities led by dedicated, experienced counselors. Call Jessica at 429-1670 or visit www.unionscrec.com for more information.
• Union County Council holds its regular monthly meeting the second Tuesday of each month at 5:30 p.m. in the Grand Jury Room of the Union County Courthouse. The dates for the 2013 meetings are May 14, June 11, July 9, Aug. 13, Sept. 10, Oct. 8, Nov. 12 and Dec. 10.
• The Austin Rehab Relay For Life team has has ongoing fundraisers through May 13 at the Austin Rehab of Union facility. One is a raffle for “3 months of Free Fitness Training” and the other is a raffle for a 45-minute massage. For both raffles, tickets sell for $1.00, or 6 tickets for $5.00. For information contact Mandy at 427-3003.
• The Covenant Baptist Church Relay For Life Team holds a Sunday meal at the church as an ongoing fundraiser. For information contact Ponnee at 427-3102.
• The Youth Leadership RFL Team is selling tickets for an IPad Mini. The drawing for the winner will be at the Relay Event night at the fairground. You must be present to win. Tickets are $2 apiece. Tickets can be purchased from any youth in my group or from myself. For more information, contact Letitia Wages at 426-3542.
Items for our Community Calendar can be submitted to The Union Daily Times for publication via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, by fax to (864) 427-1237, by mail to Community Calendar, PO Drawer 749, Union, S.C. 29379 or in person at our office, 100 Times Boulevard, Union, S.C. 29379. Items will run on a space available basis.