Monday, May 13
• Bell South Pioneers meets at Andy’s at noon.
• The Commissioners of the Housing Authority of Union meets at 5:30 p.m. at 201 Porter St.
• The Union County Arts Council’s Writers’ Group meets from 6-8 p.m. at the UCAC Gallery on Main Street in Union. Meeting is open to the public. Call UCAC at 864-429-2817 for more information.
• The American Legion Post 22 of Union holds its regular monthly meeting. The meeting will be held in its usual location in Foster Park — the Legion Hut at 120 Scenic Drive. Starting at 6 p.m., a meal will be served, with voluntary contributions towards the cost much appreciated. At approximately 6:30 p.m., David Simmons, Commissioner from the Three Rivers District of the Palmetto Council of the Boy Scouts of America, will do a presentation. American Legion Department of South Carolina District 10 Commander John Brit will be a guest at the business meeting starting at 7 p.m. An important item of business will be the Annual Election of Officers; those present will choose the 2013-2014 Post 22 Officers.
• The Union County Board of School Trustees meets at 7 p.m. in the Union County Career and Technolgy Center.
• The Union County Recreation needs coaches for T-Ball and Coach Pitch Baseball for its Youth Baseball League. Anyone interested in coaching should come by the recreation department at 111 Thomas St. and fill out a volunteer application and a background check. Call Sam at 429-1670 for more information.
• “Painting with Coffee” meets from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. each Tuesday at the Union County Arts Council’s Gallery on Main Street in Union. Any artist working in any medium can attend this informal group of like-minded artists. Call UCAC at 864-429-2817 for more information.
• The Union County Recreation Department is accepting new students for its After-School Program. Registration fee and weekly fees charged. Students ages 5-12 years old are picked up from Foster Park, Monarch and Buffalo elementary schools, and Sims Middle School. Homework help, snacks and extra activities are offered. Call Jessica at 429-1670 or visit www.unionscrec.com for more information.
• Union County Council holds its regular monthly meeting the second Tuesday of each month at 5:30 p.m. in the Grand Jury Room of the Union County Courthouse. The dates for the 2013 meetings are May 14, June 11, July 9, Aug. 13, Sept. 10, Oct. 8, Nov. 12 and Dec. 10.
• The Austin Rehab Relay For Life team has ongoing fundraisers through May 13 at the Austin Rehab of Union facility. One is a raffle for “3 months of Free Fitness Training” and the other is a raffle for a 45-minute massage. Tickets are $1 or six for $5. For information contact Mandy at 427-3003.
• The Covenant Baptist Church Relay For Life Team holds a Sunday meal at the church as an ongoing fundraiser. For information contact Ponnee at 427-3102.
• The Youth Leadership RFL Team is selling tickets for an IPad Mini. The drawing for the winner will be at the Relay Event night at the fairground. You must be present to win. Tickets are $2 each. Tickets can be bought from any youth in the Youth Leadership group or from Letitia Wages. Contact Letitia Wages at 426-3542 for more information.
Items for Out & About can be submitted to The Union Daily Times by email to UDTnews@civitasmedia.com, by fax to 864-427-1237, by mail to Out & About, PO Drawer 749, Union, S.C. 29379 or in person at our office, 100 Times Boulevard in Union. Items will run on a space available basis.