Friday, June 14
• National Flag Day Celebration at 11 a.m. at the War Memorial on Main Street, Union. The brief celebration will include prayer, reading of the history of the American flag, and comments from those in attendance. The event is hosted by American Legion Post 22.
• Rebecca Penland Youth Workshop at the Union County Arts Council’s gallery on Main Street in Union from 9 a.m. until noon. Three-hour pencil drawing workshop featuring Disney characters for ages 7-12. $15 for UCAC members and $20 for non-members. Call UCAC at 864-429-2817 for more information.
Saturday, June 15
• A Father-Son Softball Game takes place at the South Hills Sports Complex, 387 Hawthorne Road, Union. Sign-up starts at 9:30 a.m. and games begin at 10 a.m. Come out for food, fun, and games. The games are sponsored by the Brotherhood of the Pacolet River Baptist Association of Union County. Brother Robert Hill, President. Rev. Dr. James L. Mason, Moderator.
• The Union County Beekeepers Association meets at 12:30 p.m. at the Stevens Apiary. Please call Jean Pennas at 864-426-6660 if you plan to attend.
Monday, June 17
• “Monday Night Music” at the UCAC Gallery on Main Street in Union from 6:30-8:30 p.m. All musicians playing any type of music are invited to attend. The public is invited to listen for free. Call UCAC at 864-429-2817 for more information.
Tuesday, June 18
• The Union County Commission on Alcohol & Drug Abuse‘s Board meets at 5:30 p.m. at the agency. This meeting is also open to the public for anyone desiring to attend.
• Woodmen of the World meets at 6 p.m. at Woodmen Park.
Thursday, June 20
• The Good Neighbors Garden Club meets at Andy’s in Buffalo at 1 p.m.
• Vietnam Veterans of America Chapter 644 meets, starting with some edibles at 6:30 p.m., followed by the business meeting at 7 p.m. The meeting will again be at the Legion Hut at 120 Scenic Drive in Foster Park, Union. Business includes planning for a possible Veterans Picnic. The VVA meets on the third Thursday of the month, and Vietnam Era veterans interested in becoming members are always welcome as guests.
Friday, June 21
• Rebecca Penland Youth Workshop at the Union County Arts Council’s gallery on Main Street in Union from 9 a.m. until noon. Three-hour still life using pastels for ages 7-12. $15 for UCAC members and $20 for non-members. Call UCAC at 864-429-2817 for more information.
Monday, June 24
• Union County Arts Council’s Youth Summer Art Camp with Katie Paschall. Students will be taught a variety of watercolor techniques during this week-long camp. The camp will run through June 28 and meet from 10 a.m.-12:30 p.m. at the UCAC gallery on Main Street in Union. The cost of the camp is $45 for UCAC members and $65 for non-members with a maximum number of 15 for campers ages 10-17. Call UCAC at 864-429-2817 for more information.
• The Union County Democratic Party will meet at 6 p.m. in the City of Union Municipal Building, 101 Sharpe Avenue. The meeting is open to the public. Ann Stevens, UCDP Chair.
Saturday, June 29
• “Betsy and Company” presents a one day trip to Harrah’s Cherokee Casino Saturday. Departing from Jonesville Municipal Building at 8:30 a.m. and the Old Walmart parking lot at 9 a.m. Proceeds go to the Relay for Life. Call 864-674-6799 for more information.
Sunday, June 30
• The Sims High School Class of 1968 will meet at 5 p.m. The location will be the Union Municipal Building. All members are asked to attend. Preparing for our 2013 Class Reunion. For additional information please call 864-674-6799.
Thursday, July 4
• Buffalo Community’s Annual 4th of July Party at the Pond will begin at 6 p.m. with music and vendors. Fireworks at dark. For more information please contact The Buffalo Community Festivals Committee at 864-426-4457.
• The Union County Recreation needs coaches for T-Ball and Coach Pitch Baseball for its Youth Baseball League. Anyone interested in coaching should come by the recreation department at 111 Thomas St. and fill out a volunteer application and a background check. Call Sam at 429-1670 for more information.
• “Painting with Coffee” meets from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. each Tuesday at the Union County Arts Council’s Gallery on Main Street in Union. Any artist working in any medium can attend this informal group of like-minded artists. Call UCAC at 864-429-2817 for more information.
• The Union County Recreation Department is accepting new students for its After-School Program. Registration fee and weekly fees charged. Students ages 5-12 years old are picked up from Foster Park, Monarch and Buffalo elementary schools, and Sims Middle School. Homework help, snacks and extra activities are offered. Call Jessica at 429-1670 or visit www.unionscrec.com for more information.
• Union County Council holds its regular monthly meeting the second Tuesday of each month at 5:30 p.m. in the Grand Jury Room of the Union County Courthouse. The dates for the 2013 meetings are July 9, Aug. 13, Sept. 10, Oct. 8, Nov. 12 and Dec. 10.
Items for Out & About can be submitted to The Union Daily Times by email to UDTnews@civitasmedia.com, by fax to 864-427-1237, by mail to Out & About, PO Drawer 749, Union, S.C. 29379 or in person at our office, 100 Times Boulevard in Union. Items will run on a space available basis.