Saturday, June 8
• The Class of 1963 of Sims High School holds a planning meeting at New Horizon Christian Church in Union at 5 p.m. The class reunion will be September 2013. For more information contact Leslie Garner or Wade Hampton.
• The Union High School Class of 1967 has a class reunion at Veteran’s Park (Foster Park). Dinner and a live band are scheduled. Contact Wayne Comer at 864-426-0978 for more details.
Sunday, June 9
• Descendants of C. Lester and Martha V. Greer holds their annual reunion at Sardis United Methodist Church at 1 p.m. Each family is asked to bring a well-filled basket. Plates, cups, and utensils will be furnished.
Monday, June 10
• The Town of Lockhart holds first reading of the municipal at 10 a.m. at the town hall.
• The Union County Clemson Club holds its annual membership meeting at the Clemson Extension Building. Doors open at 5 p.m. with dinner at 6 p.m. catered by The Bantam Club. Guest speaker for the evening will be Keith Adams assistant coach and former NFL player. Adams was All American Tiger linebacker from 1998-2000. All prospective members are urged to attend. There will be a “super” door prize awarded to a lucky Tiger fan.
• The commissioners of the Housing Authority of Union meets at 5:30 p.m. at 201 Porter St.
• The Union County Arts Council’s Writers’ Group meets from 6-8 p.m. at the UCAC Gallery on Main Street in Union. Meeting is open to the public. Call UCAC at 864-429-2817 for more information.
• The American Legion Post 22 of Union will have its regular monthly meeting. The meeting will be held in its usual location in Foster Park in the Legion Hut at 120 Scenic Drive. Starting at 6 p.m., a meal will be served, with voluntary contributions towards the cost much appreciated. At approximately 6:30 p.m.,there will be a presentation by a guest speaker, with the actual business meeting starting at 7 p.m. One important item on the agenda will be the installation of officers elected at the May meeting, followed by additional planning for the United States Flag Retirement Ceremony planned for July 4, just before the Veterans Park fireworks event. There will be no monthly meeting during July.
• The Union County Board of School Trustees meets at 7 p.m. in Room 600 of the Union County Advanced Technology Center.
Tuesday, June 11
• American Legion Post 87 meets in The Flats at 7 p.m.
Thursday, June 13
• The Torrington/Timken Retirees meets at 6 p.m. at Andy’s in Buffalo.
Friday, June 14
• Rebecca Penland Youth Workshop at the Union County Arts Council’s gallery on Main Street in Union from 9 a.m. until noon. Three-hour pencil drawing workshop featuring Disney characters for ages 7-12. $15 for UCAC members and $20 for non-members. Call UCAC at 864-429-2817 for more information.
Saturday, June 15
• The Union County Beekeepers Association meets at 12:30 p.m. at the Stevens Apiary. Please call Jean Pennas at 864-426-6660 if you plan to attend.
Monday, June 17
• “Monday Night Music” at the UCAC Gallery on Main Street in Union from 6:30-8:30 p.m. All musicians playing any type of music are invited to attend. The public is invited to listen for free. Call UCAC at 864-429-2817 for more information.
Thursday, June 20
• The Good Neighbors Garden Club meets at Andy’s in Buffalo at 1 p.m.
Friday, June 21
• Rebecca Penland Youth Workshop at the Union County Arts Council’s gallery on Main Street in Union from 9 a.m. until noon. Three-hour still life using pastels for ages 7-12. $15 for UCAC members and $20 for non-members. Call UCAC at 864-429-2817 for more information.
Monday, June 24
• Union County Arts Council’s Youth Summer Art Camp with Katie Paschall. Students will be taught a variety of watercolor techniques during this week-long camp. The camp will run through June 28 and meet from 10 a.m.-12:30 p.m. at the UCAC gallery on Main Street in Union. The cost of the camp is $45 for UCAC members and $65 for non-members with a maximum number of 15 for campers ages 10-17. Call UCAC at 864-429-2817 for more information.
Saturday, June 29
• “Betsy and Company” presents a one day trip to Harrah’s Cherokee Casino Saturday. Departing from Jonesville Municipal Building at 8:30 a.m. and the Old Walmart parking lot at 9 a.m. Proceeds go to the Relay for Life. Call 864-674-6799 for more information.
• The Union County Recreation needs coaches for T-Ball and Coach Pitch Baseball for its Youth Baseball League. Anyone interested in coaching should come by the recreation department at 111 Thomas St. and fill out a volunteer application and a background check. Call Sam at 429-1670 for more information.
• “Painting with Coffee” meets from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. each Tuesday at the Union County Arts Council’s Gallery on Main Street in Union. Any artist working in any medium can attend this informal group of like-minded artists. Call UCAC at 864-429-2817 for more information.
• The Union County Recreation Department is accepting new students for its After-School Program. Registration fee and weekly fees charged. Students ages 5-12 years old are picked up from Foster Park, Monarch and Buffalo elementary schools, and Sims Middle School. Homework help, snacks and extra activities are offered. Call Jessica at 429-1670 or visit www.unionscrec.com for more information.
• Union County Council holds its regular monthly meeting the second Tuesday of each month at 5:30 p.m. in the Grand Jury Room of the Union County Courthouse. The dates for the 2013 meetings are June 11, July 9, Aug. 13, Sept. 10, Oct. 8, Nov. 12 and Dec. 10.
Items for Out & About can be submitted to The Union Daily Times by email to UDTnews@civitasmedia.com, by fax to 864-427-1237, by mail to Out & About, PO Drawer 749, Union, S.C. 29379 or in person at our office, 100 Times Boulevard in Union. Items will run on a space available basis.