Saturday, June 1-Sunday, June 2
• Boogaloo Folklife Productions in partnership with the Union County Historical Society presents “Whisperings: Mostly true tales from voices of Union’s historic past,” by Dr. Dan O’Shields. The play will be presented at The Inn at Merridun, the USC Union Gazebo, the Dawkins House, and the Episcopal Church of the Nativity. Shows will be 5:30 p.m. Friday, 2:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. Saturday, and 2:30 p.m. Sunday. Tickets are on sale at the Union County Museum and the Union County Arts Council. The cost is $20 for adults and $10 for students. Experience the historic past through the characters who lived it. For more information contact the Union County Arts Council at 864-429-2817 or the Union County Museum at 864-429-5081.
Saturday, June 1
• Union County YWA holds “Back In The Day Retro Fest: A Talent Competition from the 60s to the 70s,” at 6 p.m. at Jonesville High School. Donations of $10 with the proceeds to benefit the Mobile Mammogram for Union County.
Tuesday, June 4
• Union City Council holds a public hearing at 8:45 a.m. in the City of Union Municipal Building to solicit public comments on authorization to execute economic development contracts with respect to the provision of utility services. This will be followed at 9 a.m. by special council meeting during which council will vote on the second reading of four ordinances including the 2013-2014 budget and tax levy ordinances and two resolutions involving the State Revolving Loan Fund.
• Union County Council holds a budget work session at 5:30 p.m. in the Grand Jury Room located on the second floor of the courthouse. The public is invited to attend.
Saturday, June 8
• The Union High School Class of 1967 has a class reunion at Veteran’s Park (Foster Park). Dinner and a live band are scheduled. Contact Wayne Comer at 864-426-0978 for more details.
Sunday, June 9
• Descendants of C. Lester and Martha V. Greer holds their annual reunion at Sardis United Methodist Church at 1 p.m. Each family is asked to bring a well-filled basket. Plates, cups, and utensils will be furnished.
Tuesday, June 11
• American Legion Post 87 meets in The Flats at 7 p.m.
Saturday, June 15
• The Union County Beekeepers Association meets at 12:30 p.m. at the Stevens Apiary. Please call Jean Pennas at 864-426-6660 if you plan to attend.
Saturday, June 29
• “Betsy and Company” presents a one day trip to Harrah’s Cherokee Casino Saturday. Departing from Jonesville Municipal Building at 8:30 a.m. and the Old Walmart parking lot at 9 a.m. Proceeds go to the Relay for Life. Call 864-674-6799 for more information.
• The Union County Recreation needs coaches for T-Ball and Coach Pitch Baseball for its Youth Baseball League. Anyone interested in coaching should come by the recreation department at 111 Thomas St. and fill out a volunteer application and a background check. Call Sam at 429-1670 for more information.
• “Painting with Coffee” meets from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. each Tuesday at the Union County Arts Council’s Gallery on Main Street in Union. Any artist working in any medium can attend this informal group of like-minded artists. Call UCAC at 864-429-2817 for more information.
• The Union County Recreation Department is accepting new students for its After-School Program. Registration fee and weekly fees charged. Students ages 5-12 years old are picked up from Foster Park, Monarch and Buffalo elementary schools, and Sims Middle School. Homework help, snacks and extra activities are offered. Call Jessica at 429-1670 or visit www.unionscrec.com for more information.
• Union County Council holds its regular monthly meeting the second Tuesday of each month at 5:30 p.m. in the Grand Jury Room of the Union County Courthouse. The dates for the 2013 meetings are June 11, July 9, Aug. 13, Sept. 10, Oct. 8, Nov. 12 and Dec. 10.
Items for Out & About can be submitted to The Union Daily Times by email to UDTnews@civitasmedia.com, by fax to 864-427-1237, by mail to Out & About, PO Drawer 749, Union, S.C. 29379 or in person at our office, 100 Times Boulevard in Union. Items will run on a space available basis.