Firefighters not only had to deal with flames but the summer heat while battling a blaze that did $40,000 worth of damage to a house in Union Wednesday afternoon.
Union Public Safety Director Sam White said that firefighters were called to 118 Bowling Avenue at 1:35 p.m. Wednesday. White said no one was in the house when the fire started. He said the resident was outside mowing the lawn when he noticed the fire and called 911.
In addition to Union, firefighters from the Monarch and Southside fire departments were also dispatched to the scene. White said firefighters would remain on the scene until the fire was finally extinguished around 4 p.m. He said the blaze may have been caused by some wires overheating and catching fire.
“It seemed to be electrical in origin,” White said. “It started in a closet and burned up through the roof.”
White said the fire did an estimated $30,000 worth of damage to the house itself and an estimated $10,000 worth of damage to its contents.
No one was injured by the blaze, but White said that in addition to the flames, smoke and heat generated by the fire, firefighters also had to deal with the summer heat that reached into the 90s Wednesday afternoon. He said the Union County EMS was called to the scene and examined both the resident and some of the firefighters battling the blaze for any signs of heat-related illness as a precaution.
“We were just very fortunate that nobody got hurt from the fire or the weather,” White said. “It was very hot and the EMS came over and set up their Safety Tent and checked out the resident and several of our firefighters to make sure they weren’t getting overheated. This is a service the EMS provides all the fire departments in the county and it’s a great help to all of us.”