The Jonesville Fire Department received the call around 10 a.m. Upon arriving on scene, according to Jonesville Fire Chief Jimmy Wilkins, flames were observed coming from a bedroom opposite the highway on the end of the trailer located at 1217 West Springs Highway, Lot 9.
The fire was mostly extinguished in under 45 minutes but smoke was still coming from the structure. Wilkins said firefighters were on scene until just before noon — after about two hours afer their arrival.
The mobile home is owned by Paul McKanic who was home at the time of the blaze. According to Wilkins the fire was accidental. McKanic reported to the chief he was smoking and fell asleep. He dropped his cigarette which started the fire.
No one was injured in the fire and Wilkins said the mobile home was a complete loss.
The Jonesville, Kelly-Kelton and Bonham fire departments as well as the Union County Sheriff’s Office — which helped control traffic on West Springs Highway — responded to the fire.
McKanic told Wilkins he was planning to stay with a neighbor.