Last updated: March 13. 2014 8:54AM - 485 Views

Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

UNION COUNTY — Some low-income families in Union County could soon receive some financial assistance from Carolina Community Actions, Inc.

In a statement released this week, Carolina Community Actions, Inc. announced that it is now taking applications to assist low-income families with home heating bills and a variety of programs and services. Qualified households and individuals receiving SNAP (Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program) from DSS may receive assistance up to $1,000. Eligible households may be served twice during the program year.

The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) assists households with fuel oil, electric and gas heating bills in addition to HVAC repairs or purchase.

The General Emergency Assistance Program (GEAP) assists households with rent, mortgage, general education degrees (GED), Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA), job training, employment and child care.

Applications are taken for emergency and non-emergency heating bills and all other programs on Monday through Thursday, from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. at 201 E. Main Street, Suite A, Union, SC 29279.

Carolina Community Actions, Inc. (CCA) programs are funded through the Department of Health and Human Services and administered through the Office of Economic Opportunity (OEO) in Columbia, SC. CCA is a private non-profit corporation whose mission is to promote self-reliance of low-income individual and families by forming partnerships which will provide a systematic reduction of the causes and conditions of poverty.

The following documentation is needed to qualify for the various program services.

Non-Emergency Heating Assistance

1. South Carolina picture ID with current address is required for all program services

2. Social Security cards for all household members

3. Proof of total gross household income for the last 30 days:

• Weekly, Bi-monthly or monthly check stubs

• 2014 Social Security Benefits Award Letter

• UI (Unemployment Insurance) benefits printout and a current job search

4. Copy of the current unpaid energy bill (must be in the name of the applicant or a household member)

Emergency Heating Assistance

Above Items 1-3:

4. Last 3 (three) energy bills from utility vendor (a current stamped account history may be required for various vendors)

5. Energy bill must be within 5(five) days of cut-off of the application date.

6. A receipt indicating disallowed fees on the energy bill are paid (outdoor lights, round up fees, etc.)

Mortgage, Rent, Water Assistance

Above Items 1-3:

4. Eviction Notice from the landlord/magistrate’s office, Rental Assistance Affidavit, IRS W9 Form (for new landlords)

5. Lease Agreement (must include names of all household members)

6. A receipt or money order for the amount CCA cannot pay.

For more information, please contact the Union County Carolina Community Actions Office at 864-427-0336.

All user comments are subject to our Terms of Service. Users may flag inappropriate comments.
comments powered by Disqus

Featured Businesses


Info Minute

Gas Prices

Union Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com