uniondailytimes.com

Fire damage temporarily closes Andy’s

Charles Warner Editor

5 months 24 days 17 hours ago |1020 Views | | | Email | Print



BUFFALO — Even though the blaze was quickly contained and extinguished before it could spread, a fire that broke out in its kitchen Monday morning has forced Andy’s restaurant to temporarily close its doors.


Firefighters were dispatched to the restaurant, located at 830 Main St., Buffalo, at 10:13 a.m. according to Lt. Wesley Pruitt of the Buffalo Fire Department. Pruitt said that when firefighters arrived on the scene they found that the fire had been contained to the kitchen area and extinguished with fire extinguishers. He said firefighters were on the scene for approximately an hour, mainly focused on getting the smoke out of the building.


Pruitt said the cause of the fire has yet to be determined.


In addition to the Buffalo Fire Department, the Bonham and Cross Keys fire departments were also dispatched to the scene. Pruitt thanked the other departments for their assistance, pointing out that in addition to his department and Bonham and Cross Keys, volunteers with the Union Public Safety Department also responded and that Southside Fire Department was on standby if needed. He said deputies from the Union County Sheriff’s Office, City of Union Utility Department personnel, and the Union County EMS also responded to the scene.


While the cause of the fire has yet to be determined, Andy’s Manager Sally Gray said that it began when one of the fryers caught fire shortly after being turned on. Gray said that the ensuing blaze damaged all of the restaurant fryers and the hood over the cooking area as well some ceiling tiles. She said that because of this Andy’s will be closed until she and her mother, Andy’s owner Judy Medford, hear back from the insurance company and the damage is repaired.


Though the restaurant will be closed until then, Gray said it could have been much worse if not for the intervention of a Good Samaritan who assisted the kitchen staff in putting out the fire. Gray said the man had stopped by to get a newspaper, saw the fire and went to assist the kitchen staff in putting out the fire with the restaurant’s fire extinguishers before it had a chance to get up into the crawlspace above the kitchen and spread throughout the building.


“If he hadn’t done that, it would have been a lot worse,” Gray said.


“He was sent by God,” Medford said.


Charles Warner can be reached at 864-427-1234, Ext. 14.

 

Comments

comments powered by Disqus

Weather

Sponsored By:

Local Gas Prices

Lowest Gas Prices in Union
Union Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com

Featured Business


Community Directory