uniondailytimes.com

Fire causes $25,000 worth of damage to house

Charles Warner Editor

7 months 9 days 21 hours ago |950 Views | | | Email | Print

LOCKHART — It began in a fireplace, but what actually started a fire that did $25,000 worth of damage to a house and sent one man to the hospital earlier this week is still unknown.


Firefighters were dispatched to a residence at 134 River Road in the Lockhart area just before 3 p.m. Tuesday afternoon in response to a report of a house fire.


Lockhart Fire Chief Lee Brannon said his department, along with firefighters from the Philippi, Kelly-Kelton, and Monarch fire departments would remain on the scene for 2 1/2 hours making sure the blaze was extinguished.


“When we got there we first knocked the fire down in the house,” Brannon said Wednesday. “Then I had a crew go up on the roof to let the heat and smoke out. Once we did that we went in and did an overhaul and put out the hot spots. Once we did that the fire was out completely.”


Brannon said that firefighters were able to determine where the fire started though not how it started.


“It started from the fireplace area,” Brannon said. “It kind of just ran up the wall and in to the attic.”


Brannon said that he was unable to speak to the man who was at the house when the fire started and so doesn’t know whether something was being burned in the fireplace or whether it was related to the work being done on the house. He said that at the time of the fire the house was being remodeled.


The Union County EMS was also dispatched to the scene because of a report of a fire-related injury. Brannon said that the man who was at the house when the fire began apparently went back in to put it out and suffered a burn on his hand in the process. While the EMS was dispatched to the scene, Brannon said the dispatch was canceled after the individual transported himself to Wallace Thomson Hospital. Brannon said the man, whose name he did not know, was treated and released from the hospital that afternoon. He said he did not know whether the man was the owner of the house or was a worker hired for the remodeling.


Brannon said he estimated the damage to the building at $25,000. He said most of the damage was in the attic and to the roof, with water damage in the living room and in the bedroom.


Editor Charles Warner can be reached at 864-427-1234, ext. 14, or by email at cwarner@civitasmedia.com.

Comments

comments powered by Disqus

Weather

Sponsored By:

Local Gas Prices

Lowest Gas Prices in Union
Union Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com

Featured Business


Community Directory