Saturday, Dec. 14
• Betsy and Company presents a one day trip to Harrah’s Cherokee Casino with 8:30 a.m. pickup at Jonesville Municipal Building and 9 a.m. pickup at the Old Walmart Parking Lot in Union. Proceeds go to the Relay for Life. If interested please call Betsy at 674-6799.
• A Turkey Shoot will be held at the Family Life Center at Padgett’s Creek Baptist Church, 843 Old Buncombe Road, Union at 10 a.m. There will be a total of 10 rounds and a bonus round. Each round $3; for a “half-and-half” the fee is $5; and to shoot in every round the fee is $35. There will be a food trailer present with hot dogs and vegetable soup for sale. Prizes will be awarded. The church is sponsoring the Turkey Shoot to raise funds for a new bus.
• House Dogs Social Club of Union, S.C., and Woman Of Occasion hosts a Community Christmas Dinner at 4 p.m. at the Pacolet River Association Building, 168 Lovers Lane Road, Union. It is free to the public. Everyone come out and enjoy yourselves. There will be numerous drawings for prizes, free food.
Sunday, Dec. 15
• The regular quarterly meeting of the Union County Historical Society will go on as planned at 3 p.m.. Our speaker will be Rev. Robert Ivey, retired minister, historian and author. His topic will be Grindal Shoals. We regret the fact that this will coincide with the Christmas parade but since the speaker is coming from out-of-town this could not be helped. The back door of the museum leading into the meeting room will be open as usual and it is suggested that attendees use that door. If you have questions please all the museum at 864-429-5081.
• The Sims High School Class of 1966 meets at the City of Union Municipal Building from 6-7 p.m. All members are asked to be present.
Monday, Dec. 16
• Due to space limitations, “Monday Night Music” will not be held this month; but will return in January. All musicians playing any type of music are invited to attend. The public is invited to listen for free. Call UCAC at 864-429-2817 for more information.
• The Union County Democratic Party meets at 6 p.m. at the Union Housing Authority, 201 Porter St. The meeting is open to the public.
Thursday, Dec. 19
• The Good Neighbors Garden Club meets at 1:30 p.m. at Andy’s. Please bring a $5 gift.
• The Vietnam Veterans of America Chapter 644 will hold its special holiday meeting 6:30 p.m. Regular business will be put off until January 2014 as much as possible, with the emphasis on camaraderie and having a good time. There will also be a covered dish supper, with members being asked to please bring food to share. In addition to members, spouses and significant others are also invited. This special meeting will be in the regular location: The Legion Hut at 120 Scenic Drive in Foster Park, Union. The VVA meets there on the third Thursday of the month, and Vietnam Era veterans interested in becoming members are always welcome as guests.
Thursday, Dec. 19-Friday, Dec. 20
• The Wallace Thomson Hospital Volunteers holds a $5 Jewelry and Gift Sale on Thursday, Dec. 19 from 7 a.m.-7 p.m. and Friday, Dec. 20 from 7 a.m.-5 p.m. in the hospital lobby. Cash, check, and debit/credit cards are accepted. Come finish your Christmas shopping and take advantage of the great prices.
• “Painting With Coffee” meets from 10 a.m.-12:30 p.m. every Tuesday at the Union County Arts Council’s Gallery on Main Street in Union. Any artist working in any medium may attend this informal group of like-minded artists. Call UCAC at 864-429-2817 for more information.
• Union County Council holds its regular monthly meeting the second Tuesday of each month at 5:30 p.m. in the Grand Jury Room of the Union County Courthouse. The dates for the 2013 meetings are Dec. 10.
• “Local Artist’s Showcase” featuring art and crafts from over 20 Union area artists will be on display at the Union County Arts Council through Dec. 31. Many unique items are on display and on sale that would make a special Christmas gift for that hard-to-please person. Call UCAC at 864-429-2817 for more information.
• The Union Lions Club is collecting used/unwanted eyeglasses, hearing aids and cell phones. There is a collection box outside of the Lions Club building, located at 134 E. Main Street, Union. Donated items are refurbished and donated to those in need or sold for money that directly benefits those in need of hearing and vision services. Questions? Contact Lion Kelli Johnston at email@example.com.
Items for Community Calendar can be submitted to The Union Daily Times by email to UDTnews@civitasmedia.com, by fax to 864-427-1237, by mail to Community Calendar, PO Drawer 749, Union, S.C. 29379 or in person at our office, 100 Times Boulevard in Union. Items will run on a space available basis.
Commentscomments powered by Disqus
Local Gas Prices