Tuesday, June 17
• Union County Council holds a public hearing at 5:15 p.m. in the Grand Jury Room of the Union County Courthouse to receive comments from the public on the process of updating the county’s Hazard Mitigation Plan. The public is invited to attend.
• Union County Council holds its June meeting at 5:30 p.m. in the Grand Jury Room of the Union County Courthouse. The public is invited to attend.
• Woodmen of the World meets at 6 p.m. at Woodmen Park.
• Union City Council holds a public hearing at 6 p.m. in the City of Union Municipal Building to solicit public comments in connection with an amendment to zoning ordinance Section 109.12-Farmers Market. Also, rezoning of property located at 1306 W. Main St. from R-8 Commercial to A-2 Commercial.
• Union City Council holds its June meeting at 6:30 p.m. in the City of Union Municipal Building. The public is invited to attend.
• Lockhart Town Council meets in a special session at 7 p.m. in the Lockhart Town Hall for first reading of the new municipal budget.
Saturday, June 21
• The Woodmen of the World holds a flag retirement ceremony at 11 a.m. at the Union County Fairgrounds. If you know of anyone with a U.S. Flag that needs proper retirement please contact the Woodmen of the World office at 196 Times Boulevard by no later than June 18 or bring your flag by the office. Phone 427-7595.
Sunday, June 22
• The Sims High School Class of 1964 holds at 50th Class Reunion Meeting at 5 p.m. in the City of Union Municipal Building on Herndon Street.
Monday, June 23
• The Union County Democratic Party meets at 6 p.m. at the Union Housing Authority, 201 Porter Street. The meeting is open to the public. Tuesday, June 17-Thursday, July 24
• The Summer Early Steps Program will be held at the Carlisle Town Hall through Thursday, July 24. This free program will be held on Thursdays from 10-11 a.m. for children ages 1-4. The program, which is sponsored by the Union County School System, includes parent-child activities, story time, social skills, and crafts. (Adult must stay with child.) For more information please call 427-1505.
Saturday, June 21
• Come join Betsy & Company along with Over the Hill Gang Relay for Life Team on a 1 day trip to Harrah’s Cherokee Casino. Departing Jonesville Municipal Building at 1:30 p.m. Departing Old Walmart Parking Lot at 2 p.m. If interested contact Betsy at 864-674-6799.
Monday, June 23-Friday, June 27
• The Union County High School Drama department will hold its annual DRAMA CAMP from 9 a.m. until noon each day. Open to ages 6 through 12, students will participate in theatre games, creative dramatics activities, and present a short play for parents and guests on Friday, June 27, on the stage at Union County High School. The camp is taught by UCHS drama teacher, Ralph Lawson. Assistants are Bess Lawson and Jessie Cantrell. Parents can register their children at the main office at Union County High School; the registration deadline is Thursday, June 19. A fee is charged per child. For more information call 427-1709.
Saturday, June 28
• Union County Yellow Jackets Wrestling will hold a car wash from 9 a.m.-noon at Union County Stadium.
Friday, Sept. 5-Saturday, Sept. 6
• The Sims High School Reunion and Village Children sponsors a trip to New Orleans. The trip will be two nights and a day with two guests per room. Participants will stay in a five star hotel and ride in a first class tour bus. For reservations call 803-924-9069.
• The Union Lions Club is collecting used/unwanted eyeglasses, hearing aids and cell phones. There is a collection box outside of the Lions Club building, located at 134 E. Main Street, Union. Donated items are refurbished and donated to those in need or sold for money that directly benefits those in need of hearing and vision services. Questions? Contact Lion Kelli Johnston at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Items for Community Calendar can be submitted to The Union Daily Times by email to UDTnews@civitasmedia.com, by fax to 864-427-1237, by mail to Community Calendar, PO Drawer 749, Union, S.C. 29379 or in person at our office, 100 Times Boulevard in Union. Items will run on a space available basis.