Thursday, June 12
• USPTA Pro Brad Tate will host his 20th annual Summer Tennis Camps for ages 6-15. Camps will take place from 9:30-11:30 a.m. each day at the Foster Park tennis courts. Young tennis players are invited to come celebrate with 20th annual t-shirts and other giveaways. Camps will include daily snacks and pizza on Thursdays. The fee is $60 per camp. To sign up or receive more information, call (864) 466-7100.
• The Torrington/Timken Retirees meet at 6 p.m. at the Foster Park Picnic Area.
Sunday, June 22
• The Sims High School Class of 1964 holds at 50th Class Reunion Meeting at 5 p.m. in the City of Union Municipal Building on Herndon Street.
Thursday, June 5-Thursday, July 24
• The Summer Early Steps Program will be held at the Carlisle Town Hall from Thursday, June 5-Thursday, July 24. This free program will be held on Thursdays from 10-11 a.m. for children ages 1-4. The program, which is sponsored by the Union County School System, includes parent-child activities, story time, social skills, and crafts. (Adult must stay with child.) For more information please call 427-1505.
Sunday, June 8
• Descendants of C. Lester and Marth V. Greer will have their annual reunion at Sardis United Methodist Church on June 8, 2014 in the social hall at 1 p.m. Each family is asked to bring a well-filled basket. Plates, cups and utensils will be furnished.
Monday, June 9
• The Commissioners of the Housing Authority of Union meets at 5:30 p.m. at 201 Porter St.
Tuesday, June 10
• American Legion Post 87 meets in The Flats at 7 p.m.
Sunday, June 15
• The Union County Historical Society meets at 3 p.m. in the Union County Museum meeting room. As usual, the back door will be open for those wishing to avoid the stairs.
We are proud to announce the speakers will be Dr. Dan O’Shields and Robert Grady, local historians, writers, and researchers. Dr. O’shields is a licensed professional counselor and Mr. Grady is retired from the Union School system after 34 years of service. Their presentation will be regarding the Buffalo-Union-Carolina Railroad; the topic of a new book they are currently researching.
Consequently, Dan and Robert are trying to find and include photos of the BUC and would really be interested in never published family photos. A big aspect of their book will be including the memories and stories of the few folks still alive who witnessed the BUC on the tracks. If you have pictures or stories you would care to share for their work, please contact either via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Saturday, June 21
• Come join Betsy & Company along with Over the Hill Gang Relay for Life Team on a 1 day trip to Harrah’s Cherokee Casino. Departing Jonesville Municipal Building at 1:30 p.m. Departing Old Walmart Parking Lot at 2 p.m. If interested contact Betsy at 864-674-6799.
Monday, June 23-Friday, June 27
• The Union County High School Drama department will hold its annual DRAMA CAMP from 9 a.m. until noon each day. Open to ages 6 through 12, students will participate in theatre games, creative dramatics activities, and present a short play for parents and guests on Friday, June 27, on the stage at Union County High School. The camp is taught by UCHS drama teacher, Ralph Lawson. Assistants are Bess Lawson and Jessie Cantrell. Parents can register their children at the main office at Union County High School; the registration deadline is Thursday, June 19. A fee is charged per child. For more information call 427-1709.
Friday, Sept. 5-Saturday, Sept. 6
• The Sims High School Reunion and Village Children sponsors a trip to New Orleans. The trip will be two nights and a day with two guests per room. Participants will stay in a five star hotel and ride in a first class tour bus. For reservations call 803-924-9069.
• The Union Lions Club is collecting used/unwanted eyeglasses, hearing aids and cell phones. There is a collection box outside of the Lions Club building, located at 134 E. Main Street, Union. Donated items are refurbished and donated to those in need or sold for money that directly benefits those in need of hearing and vision services. Questions? Contact Lion Kelli Johnston at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Items for Community Calendar can be submitted to The Union Daily Times by email to UDTnews@civitasmedia.com, by fax to 864-427-1237, by mail to Community Calendar, PO Drawer 749, Union, S.C. 29379 or in person at our office, 100 Times Boulevard in Union. Items will run on a space available basis.