Farmers and ranchers can apply for USDA assistance due to freeze

Last updated: August 19. 2014 6:18AM - 314 Views

Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

SPARTANBURG — Spartanburg, Union and Cherokee Counties are eligible for USDA assistance as a result of a U.S. Department of Agriculture disaster designation declared for three primary counties in the State of South Carolina, announced Glenn Thomas, County Executive Director, of the USDA Farm Service Agency (FSA).

The disaster designation is a result of damages and losses caused by freeze that occurred from March 4 through April 17, 2014. The decision makes all qualified farm operators in the designated areas eligible for low-interest emergency (EM) loans from USDA’s Farm Service Agency (FSA).

The disaster areas were designated on August 6, 2014. All qualified farm operators in the designated counties are eligible for EM loans, provided eligibility requirements are met. Farmers in eligible counties have eight months from the date of the declaration to apply for loans to help cover part of their actual losses. FSA will consider each loan application on its own merits, taking into account the extent of losses, security available and repayment ability. FSA has a variety of programs, in addition to the emergency loan program, to help eligible farmers recover from adversity.

USDA has also made other programs available to assist farmers and ranchers, including the Emergency Conservation Program, Federal Crop Insurance and the Noninsured Crop Disaster Assistance Program.

Interested farmers may contact their local USDA Service Centers for further information on eligibility requirements and application procedures for these and other programs. Additional information is also available online at: http://disaster.fsa.usda.gov.

FSA news releases and media advisories are available on FSA’s Web site at: http://www.fsa.usda.gov/pas/.

USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer. To file a complaint of discrimination, write: USDA, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Ave., SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call (866-) 632-9992 (Toll-free Customer Service), (800) 877-8339 (Local or Federal relay), (866)-377-8642 (Relay voice users).

All user comments are subject to our Terms of Service. Users may flag inappropriate comments.
comments powered by Disqus

Featured Businesses


Info Minute

Gas Prices

Union Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com