UNION COUNTY — The candidates running for the Democratic nomination for three seats on the Union County Council will debate the issues Thursday evening at USC Union.
In a statement released this week, Union County Democratic Chair Ann Stevens announced that the debate will be held in the USC Union Auditorium at 7 p.m. with USC Union Professor Randy Ivey serving as moderator.
Stevens said the candidates taking part in the debate will be those running in the contested races for the Democratic nomination for three county council seats in the party’s June 14 primary. She said the candidates running in the primary and the districts they are running in are:
• District 2 — Incumbent Ralph Tucker and challengers John Glenn and James R. Rice.
• District 3 — Incumbent Tommy Ford and challenger Howard “Wahoo” Gibson.
• District 5 — Incumbent Randall “Chump” Hanvey and challenger Tommie L. Hill.
No Republicans are running in District 2 and District 5 but the winner of the District 3 Democratic nomination will face Republican David Sinclair in the November general election.
Though they will not be taking part in the debate, Stevens said the candidates running unopposed for the Democratic nomination for their respective offices have been invited to attend the debates. Those candidates are:
• Union County Council District 6 — Incumbent Kacie Petrie
• Union County Clerk of Court — Melanie Lawson
• Union County Sheriff — Incumbent David Taylor
• SC House District 42 — Incumbent Mike Anthony
No Republicans are running for the District 6 seat but Republican Amy Austin is running for Clerk of Court while Republican Jeff Bailey is running for Sheriff and Republicans Mark Cathcart and Tommy Mann are seeking the GOP nomination for SC House District 42.
Stevens said the public is invited to attend Thursday’s debate.
The Democratic and Republican primaries will both be held June 14. Runoffs for any party nominations not decided at that time will be held June 28. The general election will be held November 8.
Charles Warner can be reached at 864-762-4090 or email@example.com.