House fire causes $40,000 damage


Blaze believed to be electrical in origin

By Charles Warner - cwarner@civitasmedia.com



Charles Warner | The Union Times Charred ruins are all that remains of part of a house at 340 Sardis Road, Union. The blaze, believed to be electrical in origin, also damaged the interior of the rest of the building. Firefighters from Southside Fire Department and three other fire departments were dispatched to the scene shortly before 4 p.m. Sunday to battle the blaze and would remain there for nearly three hours. Damage to the house is estimated at $40,000.


Charles Warner | The Union Times The corner of the front bumper of this car melted due to the heat generated by a fire that caused $40,000 worth of a damage to a home at 340 Sardis Road Sunday afternoon. Firefighters from the Southside Fire Department and three other fire departments were called to the scene shortly before 4 p.m. to battle the blaze, remaining on the scene for nearly three hours. The fire is believed to have been electrical in origin.


Charles Warner | The Union Times Ashes and charred ruins are all that remain of part of this house at 340 Sardis Road, Union, while the charring on the back wall of the rest of the building suggest the damage done to its interior. The fire, which began sometime early Sunday afternoon, is believed to have been electrical in origin. Damage to the house is estimated at $40,000. Firefighters from Southside Fire Department and three other fire departments spent almost three hours on the scene extinguishing the blaze and making sure it did not reignite.


UNION — From the front it doesn’t look too bad but a house on Sardis Road is now uninhabitable because of a fire that gutted its interior and destroyed a back room Sunday afternoon.

Roger Bailey, Public Information Officer for the Southside Fire Department, said that the department was dispatched at 3:42 p.m. Sunday to a residence at 340 Sardis Road, Union. The Buffalo, Cross Keys, and Monarch fire departments were also dispatched to the scene along with Union County EMS and the Union County Sheriff’s Office.

Bailey said that when firefighters arrived on the scene “there was fire everywhere.” He said that firefighters would remain on the scene for nearly three hours extinguishing the blaze and making sure it did not reignite, finally leaving at 6:30 p.m.

There were no injuries, but Bailey said the fire caused an estimated $40,000 worth of damage to the house. The back room of the house was completely destroyed, and Bailey said the interior of the rest of the building was gutted, making it uninhabitable. He said the fire is believed to be electrical in origin and began at the back of the house.

Bailey said the American Red Cross was contacted to assist the resident of the house.

Charles Warner | The Union Times Charred ruins are all that remains of part of a house at 340 Sardis Road, Union. The blaze, believed to be electrical in origin, also damaged the interior of the rest of the building. Firefighters from Southside Fire Department and three other fire departments were dispatched to the scene shortly before 4 p.m. Sunday to battle the blaze and would remain there for nearly three hours. Damage to the house is estimated at $40,000.
http://www.uniondailytimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/web1_IMG_0920.jpgCharles Warner | The Union Times Charred ruins are all that remains of part of a house at 340 Sardis Road, Union. The blaze, believed to be electrical in origin, also damaged the interior of the rest of the building. Firefighters from Southside Fire Department and three other fire departments were dispatched to the scene shortly before 4 p.m. Sunday to battle the blaze and would remain there for nearly three hours. Damage to the house is estimated at $40,000.

Charles Warner | The Union Times The corner of the front bumper of this car melted due to the heat generated by a fire that caused $40,000 worth of a damage to a home at 340 Sardis Road Sunday afternoon. Firefighters from the Southside Fire Department and three other fire departments were called to the scene shortly before 4 p.m. to battle the blaze, remaining on the scene for nearly three hours. The fire is believed to have been electrical in origin.
http://www.uniondailytimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/web1_IMG_0922.jpgCharles Warner | The Union Times The corner of the front bumper of this car melted due to the heat generated by a fire that caused $40,000 worth of a damage to a home at 340 Sardis Road Sunday afternoon. Firefighters from the Southside Fire Department and three other fire departments were called to the scene shortly before 4 p.m. to battle the blaze, remaining on the scene for nearly three hours. The fire is believed to have been electrical in origin.

Charles Warner | The Union Times Ashes and charred ruins are all that remain of part of this house at 340 Sardis Road, Union, while the charring on the back wall of the rest of the building suggest the damage done to its interior. The fire, which began sometime early Sunday afternoon, is believed to have been electrical in origin. Damage to the house is estimated at $40,000. Firefighters from Southside Fire Department and three other fire departments spent almost three hours on the scene extinguishing the blaze and making sure it did not reignite.
http://www.uniondailytimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/web1_IMG_0923.jpgCharles Warner | The Union Times Ashes and charred ruins are all that remain of part of this house at 340 Sardis Road, Union, while the charring on the back wall of the rest of the building suggest the damage done to its interior. The fire, which began sometime early Sunday afternoon, is believed to have been electrical in origin. Damage to the house is estimated at $40,000. Firefighters from Southside Fire Department and three other fire departments spent almost three hours on the scene extinguishing the blaze and making sure it did not reignite.
Blaze believed to be electrical in origin

By Charles Warner

cwarner@civitasmedia.com

Charles Warner can be reached at 864-762-4090.

Charles Warner can be reached at 864-762-4090.

comments powered by Disqus