Union American Legion Post 22 will be having its first monthly meeting of 2017 on Monday, Jan. 9. The meeting will be held in its regular location, the Legion Hut at 120 Scenic Drive in Veterans Memorial Park in Union. A meal will be served at 6 p.m., followed by the business meeting at 7 p.m.. Post 22 meets on the second Monday evening of the month and prospective members are always welcome to attend.
Democrats To Meet
The Union County Democratic Party will meet, Monday, Jan. 23 at 6 p.m. at the City of Union Municipal Building, 102 Sharpe Avenue. Open to the public.
The Union County Senior Citizens are planning a trip to the beach on Feb. 15-17. This includes transportation, room, two shows, two meals, shopping and much more. For more information call 427-0936. There will be more trips throughout the year, like Kentucky and Ohio.
King Day Program
The public is cordially invited to attend the annual Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day program which will be held Monday, Jan. 16 at Sims Middle School.
The time of celebration will be 6 p.m. and the guest speaker will be Mr. James Starnes, the Vice President of the School Improvement Council at W.J. Keenan High in Columbia.
A repast will be served.
This celebration is sponsored by the Union County Branch of the NAACP. Mr. James Rice is president.
January At The UCAC
The following activities and events will take place at the Union County Arts Council in January.
• Painting with Coffee — Whether you are a beginner or a lifelong artist join us every Tuesday morning at 10 a.m.!
• Writers Group — Local Writers will meet Tuesday, Jan. 10 at 6 p.m. This is open to everyone!
• Monday Night Music — Looking for something new to do? Join us Jan. 16 at 6:30 p.m. for a night full of music performed by local, musicians!
• Toddler Time — Friday, Jan. 28 from 10:30-11:30 a.m. and 12:30-1:30 p.m. will be all about the little ones! Any child 4 years old or younger is invited to join us! $10.
• Mini Monet — Join us on Saturday, Jan. 21 as we create a wintery scene for your family to enjoy! You MUST register for this class by calling 864-429-2817. 9-11 a.m. $15 members/ $29 non-members
• Call to Photographers — The Union County Arts Council is calling for entries for the 2017 Photography Exhibit to be held at the UCAC gallery from Jan. 16-Feb. 28.
All photographers wanting to take part in this exhibit are asked to drop off their work during UCAC’s normal business hours. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Special arrangements can be made for after hour or weekend drop offs. Please have all pieces ready to hang.
All photographers are encouraged to participate in this showcase.
This is a great way for new and seasoned photographers to show their work to our community!
The UCAC Office/Gallery is located at 116 E. Main Street in Union. For more information about the 2017 Photography Exhibit, please call 864-429-2817 or email firstname.lastname@example.org., www.facebook.com/UnionArts
• 2017 Membership Drive — Now is the time to join Union County Arts Council! With a membership you will receive discounts on all classes and events! It is because of our dedicated members that we are able to continue to provide services to Union County
The Commissioners of the Housing Authority of Union will meet Monday, Jan. 9 at 4:30 p.m. at 201 Porter Street, Union.
Startup Weekend Spartanburg
Startup Weekend Spartanburg, an immersive weekend for budding entrepreneurs to learn, network and pitch their businesses, will be held February 24-26, 2017, at the George Dean Johnson, Jr. College of Business and Economics at the University of South Carolina Upstate, located at 160 E. St. John St., in downtown Spartanburg, S.C.
Recognized as one of the world’s starting points for entrepreneurship, Startup Weekend is a 54-hour event where designers, developers, marketers and startup enthusiasts come together to share ideas, form teams and launch business startups. In addition, this event offers participants direct access to experts, resources and support that can help launch a venture.
Since 2009, more than 234,000 people have participated in Startup Weekends in over 1,142 cities throughout 140 countries. Each event is organized by the local community and provides an opportunity for participants, sponsors and business experts to engage with budding entrepreneurs, as well as share relevant tools for taking an idea to the next level.
USC Upstate’s Johnson College of Business and Economics, host and Premier sponsor, along with American Credit Acceptance welcomes other area sponsors, including the Spartanburg Area Chamber of Commerce and SCAR (South Carolina Research Authority) in support of this in-depth three-day experience.
To register or learn more about Startup Weekend Spartanburg, go to http://spartanburg.up.co/events/10054.
A One Day Trip
Betsy & Company along with Over The Hill Gang Relay for Life Team presents a one day trip to Harrah’s Cherokee Casino on Saturday, March 11. First pick up at 7 a.m. at Jonesville Municipal Building; second pick up at 7:30 a.m. in Union at the Old Walmart Parking Lot. If interested feel free to contact Betsy at 864-674-6799.
Lions Brooms for sale every Friday from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. at Friends on Main, 126 East Main Street, Union.
Alzheimer’s Support Group
The Alzheimer’s Support Group meets the first Tuesday of each month at Grace United Methodist Church at 5:30 p.m.
For more information contact Penny Adamo at 864-427-8322.
Medi Home Hospice is sponsoring a Bereavement Program. Anyone who has lost a loved one and needs guidance with their loss is invited to attend.
2017 Union County School Board Meeting Dates
These are the 2017 Union County School Board of Trustees meeting dates. All meetings will be held at 6 p.m.
1. January 23, 2017 — Lockhart School
2. February 27, 2017 — Sims Middle School
3. March 27, 2017 — Union County High School (Teacher of the Year Recognition)
4. April 24, 2017 — Union County Career and Technology Center (Academic Recognition)
5. May 22, 2017 — Union County Career and Technology Center (Retiree Banquet)
6. June 12, 2017 — Union County Career and Technology Center
7. June 26, 2017 — Union County Career and Technology Center
(Meet if Budget has not been approved)
8. July 24, 2017 — Union County Career and Technology Center
9. August 28, 2017 — Monarch Elementary School
10. September 25, 2017 — Buffalo Elementary School
11. October 23, 2017 — Foster Park Elementary School
12. November 27, 2017 — Jonesville Elementary Middle School
13. December 11, 2017 — Union County Career and Technology Center
Additional meetings can be scheduled if needed.
The public and media will be notified if location or times change 24 hours prior to meetings.