UNION — An eagerness to learn, hard work, dedication, enthusiasm, a positive attitude, and respect for others are among the qualities that enable nine students at Sims Middle School to win the school’s CLAW Award for the month of October.
Sims Middle School Principal Eric Childers said that CLAW is an acronym that stands for Citizenship, Leadership, Attitude, and Work Ethic. Childers said that each month the winners of the award are selected by their teachers based on how their behavior and actions in the classroom embody those traits honored by the award. He said each teacher then prepares a written recommendation spelling why the student they are recommending deserves the award.
“Our students are in pods, which are four core teachers — English, Math, Social Studies, and Science — and at the end of each month those four in each pod recommend a student they think shows at least one of those characteristics,” Childers said.
These are students and the recommendations written by their teachers nominating them for the CLAW Award:
• “Abby Gregory has a wonderful work ethic, and is always willing to help others with a smile.”
Recommended by teachers Courtney Lancaster, Jennifer Stepp, and Brooke Rollins.
• “Cedric Jackson is always respectful. He is conscientious about his work and is a pleasure to teach!”
Recommended by Denise Palmer, Ashley Wells, Samantha Gregory, and Jarred O’Shields.
• “Annie Wang is an enthusiastic learner who always enjoys school. She is kind and helpful to everyone in the classroom. She comes to school every day with a smile on her face and ready to go!”
Recommended by teachers Paul Wells, Billy Ponder, and Chana Arthur.
• “Emma Scott is an outstanding student. She works extremely hard and she always has a positive attitude.”
Recommended by teachers Dawn Wheeler, Jennifer Deaton, Amber Williams, and Nancy Satterfield.
• “DeMarcus Moton is a very sweet and compassionate young man, who always puts others before himself. He works hard and always gives each class 100%. He is simply a remarkable young man, who is very deserving of this recognition!”
Recommended by teachers Becca Morrow, Ruth Ann Pitt, Robert Ross, and William Young.
• “Shykeema Land is an outstanding student with wonderful grades. She is helpful and thoughtful and shares her words of wisdom with her peers.”
Recommended by teachers Melissa Gregory, Ruth Hill, April Latham, and Mitchell Moss.
• “Aaron Root is a successful student because he is eager to learn, respectful to administrators, teachers, and classmates, attentive, responsible, and a rule follower.”
Recommended by teachers Tommy Petty, Ruth Dunn, Patrice Briggs, and Bennie Waddle.
• “Gracie Boulware is hardworking and dedicated. She always has a smile on her face and a positive attitude in the classroom. She is always respectful to her classmates, her teachers, and her school.”
Recommended by Jake West, Kay Wright, Brian Robinson, and Meaghan Wyatt.
• “Jy’Qurious Hall tries his best in every class and is very well-behaved. Jy cares about his schoolwork and he is a model student at Sims.”
Recommended by Ashley Anthony, Meaghan Gregory, Leslie Thompson, and Scott Moore.
Charles Warner can be reached at 864-762-4090.