UNION COUNTY — After years of meeting twice a month the Union County Baord of School Trust will now meet once a month, a decision that left the board almost evenly split over the change.
During its meeting Monday night, the board 5-4 to change its schedule from two meetings a month to once a month. With the change, the board will meet the last Monday of each month with meetings beginning at 6 p.m. rather than 7 p.m. as they do now. Under the new scheduling arrangement, the board can schedule additional meetings if needed.
The new schedule begins in January, but its approval was not without controversy as the 5-4 split between those in favor and those opposed demonstrates.
Voting in favor of the new schedule were trustees Mike Massey, BJ McMorris, Mark Ivey, Jane Wilkes, and Jane Hammett.
Those opposed were trustees Frank M. Hart, Manning Jeter, Doc Lipsey, and Wanda All.
Prior to the vote on the change, Hart made a motion that it be amended to have the meetings held the third Monday of the month instead of the fourth.
Voting in favor of the amendment were Hart, Lipsey, Massey, and Wilkes with McMorris, Ivey, All, and Hammett opposed and Jeter abstaining. This resulted in a 4-4 tie which meant the amendment failed.
These are the 2017 Union County School Board of Trustees meeting dates. All meetings will be held at 6 p.m.
1. January 23, 2017 — Lockhart School
2. February 27, 2017 — Sims Middle School
3. March 27, 2017 — Union County High School (Teacher of the Year Recognition)
4. April 24, 2017 — Union County Career and Technology Center (Academic Recognition)
5. May 22, 2017 — Union County Career and Technology Center (Retiree Banquet)
6. June 12, 2017 — Union County Career and Technology Center
7. June 26, 2017 — Union County Career and Technology Center
(Meet if Budget has not been approved)
8. July 24, 2017 — Union County Career and Technology Center
9. August 28, 2017 — Monarch Elementary School
10. September 25, 2017 — Buffalo Elementary School
11. October 23, 2017 — Foster Park Elementary School
12. November 27, 2017 — Jonesville Elementary Middle School
13. December 11, 2017 — Union County Career and Technology Center
Additional meetings can be scheduled if needed
The public and media will be notified if location or times change 24 hours prior to meetings.
For more about this story and other actions taken by the board see upcoming editions of The Union Times and online at our website (www.uniondailytimes.com) and our Facebook page.
Charles Warner can be reached at 864-762-4090.