UCSD budget totals $27.8 million


No tax increase in proposed budget

By Charles Warner - cwarner@civitasmedia.com



UNION COUNTY — While salaries for teachers and support staff will increase taxes won’t under the proposed Union County School District budget for fiscal 2016-2017.

District Finance Director Lynn Lawson presented the proposed budget to the Union County Board of School Trustees Monday evening. Lawson said that expenditures in the proposed budget total $27,855,640, an increase of $663,269 or 2.4 percent over the current budget of $27,192,371. He said the bulk of the increase ($607,000) is due to increased payroll costs due to increases in salaries and benefits for teaching staff and support staff such as administrators, clerical workers, and custodians.

Lawson said the increase in salaries and benefits for teaching staff accounts for 85 percent of the increased payroll costs. He said the increase in salaries and benefits is due largely to state-mandated increases for “certified teaching staff.” Lawson said for each year they teach, teachers also receive a “year of experience step increase” in their salaries.

The remainder of the increase in the budget ($56,000) is for increases in non-payroll costs such as utilities and insurance premiums.

Even though the budget is $663,269 more than the current budget, Lawson said it does not raise taxes. He said the district’s tax millage will remain the same at 167.9 mills including 119.9 mills for operations and 48 mills for debt service.

In presenting the proposed budget to the board, Lawson also outlined the district’s revenue sources. Of the $27,855,640 in projected revenue for fiscal 2016-2017, only $5,752,955 or 20.7 percent are from local sources such as ad valorem taxes on real property ($3,358,000). The remaining $22,102,685 or 79.3 percent are from state and federal sources including the Education Finance Act ($10,115,000).

The board took no action on the proposed budget as it was submitted to them by Lawson for review prior to their voting on it.

Personnel Report

In other business, the board voted to approve the Personnel Report containing the appointment of the following teacher to the following positions at the following locations:

• Everett Orr — Mechatronic Teacher at the Union County Career and Technology Center.

• Jeffrey Whisenhunt — Agriculture Teacher at the Union County Career and Technology Center.

• Michael Johnson — Digital Art and Design Teacher at the Union County Career and Technology Center.

• Sherrie Callahan (Retired) — Science Teacher At Sims Middle School.

• Melissa Gregory (Retired) — Science Teacher at Sims Middle School.

• Indrasena Bandela — Math Teacher at Union County High School.

• Haley Wofford — Teacher at Foster Park Elementary School.

• Courtney Franklin — Teacher at Buffalo Elementary School.

• Jake Walton — Athletic Fields and Grounds/Coach at Union County High School.

• Andrew Preston — Orchestra Teacher at Foster Park Elementary School, Lockhart School and Jonesville Elementary Middle School.

http://www.uniondailytimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/web1_UCSD-logo-6.jpg
No tax increase in proposed budget

By Charles Warner

cwarner@civitasmedia.com

Charles Warner can be reached at 864-762-4090.

Charles Warner can be reached at 864-762-4090.

comments powered by Disqus