FCL Offering $750 Scholarship
Union County Family & Community Leaders (FCL) is offering a $750 scholarship to a Union County adult resident who has been, or is in the workforce, and is raising a family.
This award will be paid out in two installments of $375. The first payment will be made in time for your first semester, and the second in time for your second semester. Award will be directed to the qualified institution (technical school/community college, 4-year college or university) of your choice.
Applications and instructions are available at the Clemson Extension Office, 120 Kirby St., Union. For more information call 864-427-6259, Ext. 114. Office hours are Monday-Thursday, 9 a.m.-2 p.m.
Completed applications are due on or before June 1, 2016. Applications received after this date will be disqualified.
FCL is a non-profit organization, and we support this scholarship fund and many smaller service projects through fundraising events during the year.
Clemson University Cooperative Extension Service offers its programs to people of all ages, regardless of race, color, gender, religion, national origin, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, marital or family status and is an equal opportunity employer.
Post 22 To Improve 2016 Baseball Team
Union American Legion Post 22 is currently working on much-needed improvements for their 2016 baseball team. Changes will be made from top to bottom, and will go back to the 1925 roots of American Legion Baseball, teaching “young Americans the importance of sportsmanship, good health, and active citizenship.” This quote is from the historical article at www.legion.org/baseball/history
Legion Post 22 is currently looking for enthused volunteers to help carry the proud tradition of American Legion baseball forward in Union County. If you love baseball and working with teenagers, or just like helping out in your community, and are able to contribute in any way at all, please consider volunteering. There are many ways to contribute your time, from being one of the coaches for the regular or junior teams, to just helping out for a few hours at a time. To volunteer yourself, please give the head of the Post 22 Baseball Committee, Joe Tracy, a call at 931-249-9686 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2016 Democratic Party Election Dates
March 12, 10 a.m., Precincts Reorganization Day, Union County Courthouse, Law Library.
March 21, 7 p.m., Union County Democratic Party County Convention, Union County Courthouse.
April 30, 9 a.m., South Carolina Democratic Party State Convention, Columbia.
May 14, Voter Registration Deadline, June 14 Primaries.
June 14, 7 a.m.-7 p.m., South Carolina Primaries.
June 28, 7 a.m.-7 p.m., South Carolina Primaries Runoff.
July 25-28, National Democratic Convention, Philadelphia, Pa.
October 8, Voter Registration Deadline, November General Election.
November 8, 7 a.m.-7 p.m., General Election.
Please volunteer and get involved in your local voting precincts and vote in all elections.
Contact: Ann Stevens, Union County Democratic Party Chair, 864-429-1108 (v/t)
Thursday, March 3
• The Community Prayer Meeting will be observed at noon at the USC Union gazebo. Please come and join with fellow citizens of Union County, and with others in other places as we pray for our country, our community, our state, and also for our world, and for the Church. Pray for God’s guidance in the coming primaries and caucuses. Please pray for our military, our police, EMS personnel, and others who risk their lives to serve and protect us.
All are welcome. If you can’t get to the gazebo, please take some time for special prayer during the day.
Tuesday, March 8
• Buffalo American Legion Post 87 meets at 7 p.m. in the Flats. All veterans welcome.
Saturday, March 12
• Mt. Lebanon Baptist Church, 2153 Mt. Lebanon Road, Buffalo, hosts a Wild Game Supper. Doors open at 5:30 p.m. and serving begins at 6 p.m. Tickets for adults are $15 and for children (8 and under) $10.
For tickets call:
— Otis Hembree — 864-316-1222
— Melvin Shelton — 864-426-3251
— Barry Carroll — 864-466-2349
— Tyler Lancaster — 864-426-6848
— David Lawson — 864-580-0839
— Brittany Billings — 864-706-5164
You may have a table reserved if you purchase a group of 8 tickets.
Guest speaker will be Cpl. Kevin Brewington, US Army veteran wounded in action in Afghanstan in 2011.
There will be food, fellowship, and door prizes.
Sunday, March 13
• The Sims High School class of 1968 meeting that is scheduled for Sunday, Feb. 28, has been changed to Sunday, March 13, 5 p.m. at 1101 Union Blvd. Hope to see you there. Any questions call Betsy 674-6799.
Saturday, March 19
• The Junior Charity League of Union County hosts our 2nd Annual Spring Market March.
Our market will be open from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. at the Union County Fairgrounds Exhibit Building.
The following items will be for sale:
— Women’s Clothing
— Men’s Clothing
— Children’s Clothing
— Make-up and Skin Care Products
— Custom Turkey Calls
— Cakes/Cupcaks and other Food and Snack Items
— And More!!!
Mark your calendars and come shop with JCL as we help to support charities in Union County and scholarships for high school seniors in Union County.
Sunday, March 20
• The Union County Historical Society will hold their Quarterly Membership Meeting at 3 p.m. The back door will be open for everyone to enter the Meeting Room.
Wednesday, March 24
• The Union County Disabilities and Special Needs Board of Directors will have their monthly meeting at noon. The meeting will be held at 226 S. Gadberry Street. Lunch will be provided.
The scheduled meetings for the rest of 2016 are as follows:
— Wednesday, April 27;
— Wednesday, May 25
— Wednesday, June 22
— Wednesday, August 24,
— Wednesday, September 28
— Wednesday, October 26
— Tuesday, November 22.
Saturday, April 2
• Come join Betsy & company along with the Over the Hill Gang Relay for Life team on a fun filled day to Harrah’s Cherokee Casino. Picking up in Jonesville at 8:15 a.m. at the Municipal Building and picking up in Union at 8:45 a.m. at the old Walmart Parking Lot. If interested contact Betsy at 864-674-6799.
Union County Arts Council
• Painting with Coffee — Whether you are a beginner, or a lifelong artists join us every Tuesday morning at 10 a.m.!
• Corky Canvas — DATE NIGHT! Join us for a night of fun, friends, and painting! Each of you will paint your own canvas and when they are put togther it will form a complete piece! Grab your favorite drink and join us for a night out!!! $30 members/$35 non-members per couple.
• Tuesday Morning Painters Exhibit — Our Tuesday Morning Painting with Coffee Group has lined the walls of the UCAC Gallery with their work.
Medi Home Hospice is sponsoring a Bereavement Program. Anyone who has lost a loved one and needs guidance with their loss is invited to attend.
The Bereavement Program will be held at the Medi Home Hospice office located at 720 Duncan Bypass, Suite C, Union, on the top floorof Austin Rehab.
Meetings will be every first Monday of the month at 5:30 p.m.
Facilitators are Rev. Richard Brown, Chaplain; Kanisha Benjamin, Social Worker.
For more information contact 864-426-7784.
Relay For Life Team Meetings
Tuesday, March 8, 2016
Tuesday, April 12, 2016
All Team Meetings will be held at Tabernacle Baptist Church at 6:30 p.m. in the Family Life Center Family Room.
Union County Relay For Life Event will begin at 7 p.m. Friday, May 13, 2016 at the Union County Fairgrounds.
If you or your organization would like more information about UC Relay For Life, please contact Beth Lancaster (864-426-3438) or Torance Inman ( 864-426-0883).
2016 Union County Council Meetings
Second Tuesday of each month at 5:30 p.m.
The meetings will be held in the Grand Jury Room at the Union County Courthouse unless otherwise noted.
Tuesday, March 8, 2016
Tuesday, April 12, 2016 (Lockhart Town Hall)
Tuesday, May 10, 2016
Tuesday, June 21, 2016 (Primary held on June 14, 2016)
Tuesday, July 12, 2016
Tuesday, August 9, 2016 (Carlisle Town Hall)
Tuesday, September 13, 2016
Tuesday, October 11, 2016 (Jonesville Town Hall)
Tuesday, November 15, 2016 (Election held on November 8, 2016)
Tuesday, December 13, 2016
2016 Union County School Board Meeting Dates
March 14, 2016 — Union County Career and Technology Center
(Teacher of the Year Recognition)
March 28, 2016 — Union County High School
April 25, 2016 — Union County Career and Technology Center (Academic Recognition)
May 9, 2016 — Union County Career and Technology Center (Retiree Banquet)
May 23, 2016 — Union County Career and Technology Center
June 13, 2016 — Union County Career and Technology Center
June 27, 2016 — Meet if budget has not been approved
July 25, 2016 — Union County Career and Technology Center
August 8, 2016 — Union County Career and Technology Center
August 22, 2016 — Monarch Elementary School
September 12, 2016 — Union County Career and Technology Center
September 26, 2016 — Buffalo Elementary School
October 10, 2016 — Union County Career and Technology Center
October 24, 2016 — Foster Park Elementary School
November 14, 2016 — Union County Career and Technology Center
November 28, 2016 — Jonesville Elementary Middle School
December 12, 2016 — Union County Career and Technology Center
All meetings are at 7 p.m.
The public and media will be notified if location or times change 24 hours prior to meetings.
Union County Election Commission member Roger Gregory reads off the vote total from a precinct in Saturday’s Democratic presidential primary to his daughter, Julie Conard, who types them into the computer that will project them onto a screen for public viewing. Union County has a total of 24 precincts including the absentee precinct.