The Early Steps Summer Reading Program was held at Monarch Elementary School on Wednesday, June 24. Pictured with Christy Latham, Early Steps Director, is Brady Greer showing his activity with The Hungry Caterpillar. Storytime is held each Wednesday at MES.
Wednesday, July 1
• StaffMasters is partnering with the Union County Carnegie Library to host a job fair from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. The job fair will be held at the Carnegie Library, 300 E. South St., Union.
The job fair will seeking applicants for general labor, warehouse, weavers, and warpers, as well as previous textile workers.
Applicants should bring a resume/previous employer information, a positive attitude, and should dress to impress.
All candidates must apply at www.staffmasters.com prior to the event.
Thursday, July 2
• The Community Prayer Meeting will be observed at noon at the USC-U gazebo. Please come and join with fellow citizens of Union County, and with others in other places as we pray for our country, our community, our state, and also for our world, and for the Church. Please pray for our military and our police, who risk their lives to serve and protect us. Let us gather and give special thanks for our country as we approach our 239th birthday on July 4.
All are welcome. If you can’t get to the gazebo, please take some time for special prayer during the day.
Friday, July 3
• Kelly-Kelton Fire Department will sell hash and barbecue — cooked and donated by Charles Farr and Tommy Sinclair — beginning at 10 a.m. at the fire department. The cost is $7 per pound, and everyone is encouraged to pre-order by calling (864) 674-1300 or (864) 426-0830.
Saturday, July 11
• The Carlisle Finishing Group, formerly Cone Mills, meets at 9 a.m. at Midway BBQ for breakfast. All retirees and former employees are welcome. We will have Amanda Knowles of Hospice Care South Carolina sing for the group. For more information call 466-5276.
Friends On Main Open Fridays
Great News! Friends on Main, 126 East Main Street, is open every Friday from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Bring a box and shop!
Potters Storehouse 2015 Schedule
The Potters Storehouse will hold its 2015 food distributions on the following dates:
Wednesday, July 8
Wednesday, July 22
Wednesday, Aug. 12
Wednesday, Aug. 26
Wednesday, Sept. 9
Wednesday, Sept. 23
Wednesday, Oct. 14
Wednesday, Oct. 28
Wednesday, Nov. 11
Wednesday, Nov. 24
Wednesday, Dec. 9
Wednesday, Dec. 19
Distribution time for each event will be 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
In case of bad weather, snow or ice, The Potters Storehouse will follow the Union County School District schedule (delays/closings).
For more information call Pastor Don Moore at 864-680-3465.
Volunteers are needed.
The Jonesville Town Festival Committee is looking for volunteers to help with the festival which will take place on Sept. 19, 2015. Also, if there are any vendors that are interested in reserving booths, feel free to contact Randy Spencer at 864-426-2219 or Betsy Thompson at 674-6799. This is a community function. All are welcome. We will look forward to hearing from you.
The Jonesville High School Class of 1973 is planning their 43rd class reunion. If interested in attending contact Dianne West at 674-0994 or Barbara Baldwin at 429-1262 and leave a message.
• The Union Lions Club is collecting used/unwanted eyeglasses, hearing aids and cell phones. There is a collection box outside of the Lions Club building, located at 134 E. Main Street, Union. Donated items are refurbished and donated to those in need or sold for money that directly benefits those in need of hearing and vision services. Questions? Contact Lion Kelli Johnston at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Union County Arts Council hosts “Painting with Coffee” each Tuesday from 10 a.m.-noon at the UCAC gallery on Main Street in Union. Whether you are a beginner, or a lifelong artists join us every Tuesday morning at 10 a.m.! During the month of May the group will focus on Plein Air Drawing with Sharon Thompson (Trips will be made to different locations.) Come join in and work on your art project while you enjoy spending time, and having coffee, with other like-minded artists. For more information call UCAC at 864-429-2817 or email email@example.com.
• The Union County Arts Council hosts Corky Canvas every Friday at 6 p.m. Who needs a FUN night out? All you need are a few friends, a favorite drink, and we provide the rest! Our very talented teacher, Brandy Ketterman will help you create a masterpiece to take home! Each week we will have a different theme. $30 members/$35 non-members Please pre-register.
• The Union County Arts Council Art Gallery on Main Street in downtown Union hosts “George Ligon Journey Down Under.” This exhibit includes a large body of landscape photography produced by George Ligon during a summer trip exploring the islands of Australia, Fiji, and New Zealand. Ligon began his career in New York City, specializing in commercial and fashion photography for 27 years. He has since become an active member in the artists community in Greenwood, South Carolina, continuing to ripen his photography and shift his focus to fine art.
The exhibit will be on display through June 28 and a reception will be held Thursday June 11 from 6-8 p.m. at the Art Gallery.
Items for Community Calendar can be submitted to The Union Daily Times by email to UDTnews@civitasmedia.com, by fax to 864-427-1237, by mail to Community Calendar, 100 Times Boulevard, Union, S.C. 29379 or in person at our office, 100 Times Boulevard in Union. Items will run on a space available basis.