Sunday, Sept. 20
• The Union County Historical Meeting is at 3 p.m. at the Union County Museum. The back door will be open.
Tuesday, Sept. 22
• The Union County Senior Citizens meet at Mon Aetna Church Social Hall for a finger food meal at 6 p.m. Mike Hayes will be providing the entertainment.
Monday, Sept. 28
• Delta Kappa Gamma meets at 4 p.m. in the library at Monarch Elementary School. All members are encouraged to attend.
• The Union County Democratic Party meets at 5:45 p.m. at the Union Housing Authority, 201 Porter Street. The meeting is open to the public.
Tuesday, Oct. 6
• The Union County Beekeepers Association meets at 6 p.m. in the Parish Hall of the Church of the Nativity located at 320 South Church Street.
Light refreshments are served at 6 p.m. and the program begins at 6:30 p.m. David MacFawn, a SC Master Beekeeper, will present a program on Pollination.
In October, we are beginning our membership drive for 2016. Everyone interested in bees is encouraged to attend.
Sunday, Oct. 11
• The Sims High Class of 1968 holds a business meeting at 5 p.m. The meeting will be held at 1101 Union Boulevard. New officers will be elected at this time. Please come and vote. Bring your ideas on the 2016 reunion and fundraiser. All class members are asked to attend. We need your help. We are looking forward to seeing you there. Together we can make a difference.
Monday, Oct. 12-Saturday, Oct. 17
• The Union County Senior Citizens have extra seats for the Ohio Holmes Country Amish Tour. Six days, five nights. For more information call 427-8071 or 674-5070. Must call by Sept. 8.
Tuesday, Oct. 13
• One Hope Performing Arts launches an innovative youth program at 3:30 p.m. The NSPIRE program bridges youth to success through academics, acting, dance, music, poetry, and more. Register online at www.onehope.productions or by appointment at One Hope Theatre inside Life Springs (formerly Union Square Cinemas). For more information call 864-466-5428.
Saturday, Oct. 17
• Betsy and Company along with Over The Hill Gang Relay for Life Team presents a one day trip to Harrah’s Cherokee Casino. First pick up is at the Jonesville Municipal Building at 8:15 a.m. Second pickup is in Union at the old Walmart parking lot at 8:50 am. If interested call Betsy at 864-674-6799.
Alzheimer’s Support Group
The Alzheimer’s Support Group meets the first Tuesday of every month in the Grace United Methodist Church Parlor at 5:30 p.m.
Friends On Main Open Fridays
Great News! Friends on Main, 126 East Main Street, is open every Friday from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Bring a box and shop!
Potters Storehouse 2015 Schedule
The Potters Storehouse will hold its 2015 food distributions on the following dates:
Wednesday, Sept. 23
Wednesday, Oct. 14
Wednesday, Oct. 28
Wednesday, Nov. 11
Wednesday, Nov. 24
Wednesday, Dec. 9
Wednesday, Dec. 19
Distribution time for each event will be 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
In case of bad weather, snow or ice, The Potters Storehouse will follow the Union County School District schedule (delays/closings).
For more information call Pastor Don Moore at 864-680-3465.
Volunteers are needed.
Arts Council News
Painting with Coffee — Whether you are a beginner, or a lifelong artists join us every Tuesday morning at 10 a.m.
Monday Night Music — Looking for something new to do? Join us Sept. 21 at 6:30 p.m. for a night full of local, musical talent!
Corky Canvas — Who needs a FUN night out? Join us Friday, Sept. 18 at 6 p.m. All you need are a few friends, a favorite drink, and we provide the rest! Our very talented teacher, Brandy Ketterman will help you create a masterpiece to take home! This week we will be painting a picture perfect for fall! $30 members/$35 non-members Please pre-register
Toddler Time — Friday, Sept. 25, 10:30-11:30 a.m. will be all about the little ones! Any child 4 years old or younger, is invited to join us for a morning full of fun art exploration! Each child must have a parent in attendance. Cost $10.
Fall Door Hanger Class — If you haven’t joined us for one of these classes, now is your chance!
We will have several designs to choose from! Don’t paint? No worries, our amazing instructor will be there to walk you through each step! $20 members/$25 non-members
Uniquely Union — We will be open Saturday, Sept. 12, from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. We invite everyone to stop in and see what fun activities we have planned!!
2015 Art Exhibition — Thursday, Sept. 24, USC-Union Main Building, 5:30-7:30 p.m.
For more information about the Union County Arts Council call 864-429-2817 or go to www.facebook.com/UnionArts.
The Jonesville Town Festival Committee is looking for volunteers to help with the festival which will take place on Sept. 19, 2015. Also, if there are any vendors that are interested in reserving booths, feel free to contact Randy Spencer at 864-426-2219 or Betsy Thompson at 674-6799.
This is a community function. All are welcome. We will look forward to hearing from you.
The Jonesville High School Class of 1973 is planning their 43rd class reunion. If interested in attending contact Dianne West at 674-0994 or Barbara Baldwin at 429-1262 and leave a message.
• The Union Lions Club is collecting used/unwanted eyeglasses, hearing aids and cell phones. There is a collection box outside of the Lions Club building, located at 134 E. Main Street, Union. Donated items are refurbished and donated to those in need or sold for money that directly benefits those in need of hearing and vision services. Questions? Contact Lion Kelli Johnston at email@example.com.
Items for Community Calendar can be submitted to The Union Daily Times by email to UDTnews@civitasmedia.com, by fax to 864-427-1237, by mail to Community Calendar, 100 Times Boulevard, Union, S.C. 29379 or in person at our office, 100 Times Boulevard in Union. Items will run on a space available basis.
Monarch Elementary School is happy to announce that the following students have been chosen as Students of the Quarter by their teachers for the first nine weeks of the new school year. These students come to school on time and ready to shine. They are great examples of positive behavior and attitudes. Congratulations to Gene Stewart, Wyatt Lindler, Clair Wilson, Ge’Lanae Stewart, Anajiah Mayfield, Kadyn Wilson, Marissa Dowis, Skyy Edwards, McKenna Smith, Marmony Gilliam and Jace Magner.