Carlisle Finishing Group Breakfast
The Carlisle Finishing Group, formerly Cone Mills, will meet Saturday, December 9 at 9 a.m. for breakfast at Midway BBQ.
George Bullman, “The Piano Man,” will entertain the group.
All retirees and former employees are welcome.
For more information call 864-466-5276.
Class Of 1963 Planning Meeting
The Class of 1963 of Sims High School will have a planning meeting Sunday, December 10 at 5 p.m. at New Horizon Christian Church, Union.
For more information contact Wade Hampton or Clearance Hughes.
All classmates are invited to attend.
The Union County Development Board (UCDB) will hold its regularly scheduled monthly meeting on Tuesday, December 12 at 4 p.m. in the UCDB Conference Room located at 207 South Herndon Street, Union.
Housing Authority Meeting
The Commissioners of the Housing Authority of Union will meet Monday, December 11 at 4:30 p.m. at 201 Porter Street, Union.
Post 22 Meeting
American Legion Post 22’s regular meeting will be held Monday, December 11 at 120 Scenic Drive, with the meal at 6 p.m. and the business meeting at 7 pm.
All members, Ladies Auxiliary and non-member veterans are welcome!
Senior Citizens Meeting
The Union County Senior Citizens will meet at the Mon Aetna Baptist Church Social Hall on Tuesday, December 12 at 6 p.m. for a finger food meal.
Tiffany and Lee Littlejohn & Friends will be singing Christmas music.
December At The UCAC
The following events and activities will be held at the UCAC Art Gallery on Main Street in downtown Union this month.
• Painting with Coffee — Whether you are a beginner, or a lifelong artists join us every Tuesday morning at 10 a.m.
• Writers Group — Local Writers will meet Tuesday, December 12 at 6 a.m. This is open to everyone!
• Monday Night Music — Looking for something new to do? Join us Monday, December 18 at 6:30 p.m. for a night full of local, musical talent!
• Local Artists Showcase — Stop by our gallery to browse the local art that is on display this holiday season. We have pieces from several different Union County Artists, all of which are for sale! This is the perfect opportunity for you to purchase a unique Christmas gift for that hard to buy for person!
• Mini Monet — All children Kindergarten-5th grade are welcome to join us for a morning of creativity Saturday, December 16 from 9 a.m.-11 p.m. $15 members/$20 non-members.
For more information contact Amber at 864-429-2817.
Head Start Registration
Carolina Community Actions, Inc., Head Start has openings for children ages 3 and 4 for the 2017-2018 program year.
Head Start serves children from low-income families and children with disabilities. Children with disabilities, including emotional, intellectual, and physical (visual, hearing, speech, crippling and other chronic impairments), are eligible regardless of their family income level. Services provided by Head Start include education, nutrition, medical, dental, social services, transportation, parent involvement, and special education services.
CCA Early Head Start/Head Start participates in the USDA Child Care Food Program and breakfast and lunch are served to the Head Start children and formula, breakfast, and lunch are served to the Early Head Start children at no cost to the families and without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, or disabilities.
A legal birth certificate, certificate of immunization, proof of income for the 2016 calendar year, and social security numbers of all persons in household must be provided when you apply.
The Early Head Start/Head Start Center in Union County is located at the Jonesville Head Start Center, 514 Alman Street, Jonesville. For further information and/or to make an appointment please call 864-674-6014.
Union County School Board Meeting Dates
These are the 2017 Union County School Board of Trustees meeting dates.
• December 11, 2017 — Union County Career and Technology Center
These are the 2018 Union County School Board of Trustees meeting dates.
• January 22, 2018 — Lockhart School
• February 26, 2018 — Sims Middle School
• March 26, 2018 — Union County High School
• April 23, 2018 — Union County Career and Technology Center
• May 21, 2018 — Union County Career and Technology Center (Retiree Banquet)
• June 11, 2018 — Union County Career and Technology Center
• June 25, 2018- Union County Career and Technology Center
(Meet if Budget has not been approved)
• July 23, 2018 — Union County Career and Technology Center
• August 27, 2018 — Monarch Elementary School
• September 24, 2018 — Buffalo Elementary School
• October 22, 2018 — Foster Park Elementary School
• November 26, 2018 — Jonesville Elementary Middle School
• December 10, 2018 — Union County Career and Technology Center
All board meetings are held at 6 p.m. and additional meetings can be scheduled if needed.
The public and media will be notified if location or times change 24 hours prior to meetings.
2017 Union County Council Meeting Dates
These are the 2017 Union County Council meeting dates. All meetings will be held the second Tuesday of each month at 5:30 p.m. The meetings will be held in the Grand Jury Room of the Union County Courthouse unless otherwise noted.
• December 12, 2017