UNION — A contract for an upgrade at the water treatment plant and two athletic-oriented sponsorships were approved by Union City Council this week.
Council voted unanimously Tuesday to approve a recommendation by City of Union Utility Department Director that Howard Engineering be awarded the contract for upgrading SCADA system at the water plant for $44,700. Nichols explained that the existing platform the system operates on is no longer supported by Intellution. He said the proposed upgrade includes personal computers/servers, SCADA software configuration, installation, and start-up costs.
The proposal presented by Howard Engineering lists the following services it will provide:
• Installation, configuration, and startup of two new SCADA servers.
• Upgrade of existing Proficy iFIX software to version 5.8.
• Upgrade of system configuration, process database, and HMI graphics to iFIX (v 5.8).
• Upgrade of MBE (MODBUS Ethernet) I/O drivers.
• Startup, testing, and verification for correct system operation.
It also lists the following equipment and software that will be installed:
• Proficy iFIX HMI/SCADA Ver. 5.8 with — unlimited tags (Primary Server).
• Proficy iFIX HMI/SCADA Ver. 5.8 with — unlimited tags (Secondary Server).
• MODBUS (MDE) I/O drivers.
• 48” LED TVs (Qty. 2 — one for main operator station and one for adjoining office).
• Rackmount Dell 2012 servers (qty. 2).
• Rackmount UPS for backup power.
• Necessary Ethernet networking switches and cabling.
• New wireless keyboards and mice for each SCADA node.
Sports Hall Of Fame
In other business, council voted unanimously to approve a recommendation from Mayor Harold Thompson that sponsor the WBCU Union County High School Sports Hall of Fame event.
Thompson pointed out that during the event some of Union County High School’s best athletes from the past will be inducted into the Union County High School Hall of Fame. He pointed out that the megaphones used at the event will not only list this year’s inductees, but also the sponsors who participate in the promotion as well as the Union County High School Yellow Jackets. The megaphones will then be given to the Union County High School Booster Club to sell in fundraising.
Council approve the Moderate Sponsorship Plan which cost $600 for which the sponsor receives the following:
• 30 promotional announcements during the week of the Hall of Fame Game.
• Their business name listed on the megaphone.
In approving the sponsorship, council directed that the announcements be given to the Union County Chamber of Commerce for distribution among businesses within the municipal limits of the City of Union.
Council also voted unanimously to authorize the city to support the USC Union athletic program with a sponsorship.
Thompson recommended council approve the sponsorship in light of the expansion of the USC Union athletic program with the addition of men and women’s soccer.
A flier presented by Thompson listed Platinum ($4,000), Gold ($2,000), Silver ($1,000), Bronze ($500), and Fans ($150) sponsorships. Council chose the Silver Sponsorship which provides the sponsor with the following:
• 1 season pass to all USC Union athletic games.
• Sponsor name/logo on banner at home games.
• Sponsor recognition during broadcasts.
• Sponsor name/logo on USC Union website and social media.
Charles Warner can be reached at 864-762-4090.