UNION — At Michelangelo’s Pizza the McNamara family doesn’t have customers they have friends and they want to treat their friends like they are family members.
“Our whole focus is on developing relationships with our friends,” Co-Owner Sean McNamara said on Monday. “We don’t have customers we have friends and we take care of these friends as if they were our best friends or family.”
Family is one the defining features of Michelangelo’s Pizza which is co-owned by McNamara, his wife Donna, and their children Brandon, Andrew, Caroline, Megan, and Sean Jr. The McNamaras not only own the restaurant, they are also a big part of its 16-member staff helping to take customers’ orders, both for service in the restaurant itself, for takeout, and for delivery; man the cash register; prepare the meals and serve them; and even move tables and chairs around to enable large parties like the ones that turned out for lunch Monday to sit together.
Michelangelo’s — which is located at 401 North Duncan Bypass, Union — can seat 38 within the restaurant itself, but McNamara said that patio seating will be added in the future that can seat an additional 20.
Another defining feature of Michelangelo’s is the McNamara family’s commitment to the community which McNamara, who has 30 years experience in the restaurant business, said was a factor in the family’s deciding where to locate their restaurant.
“Number one, we like the area, we like the location,” McNamara said. “This facility is going to allow us to do a lot activities. We’re looking to attract local events like car shows and live music on the weekends. We’ll also be open late during home football games. We want to give people a great place to go and enjoy great food.”
That great food includes:
• Appetizers — Fried Pickles, Onion Rings, Fried Mozzarella Cheese Sticks, Jalapeno Poppers, Cheesy Breadstix, Waffle Fries, Bacon Cheese Waffle Fries, Stuffed Cheese Breadsticks, Boneless Chicken Bites, and Chicken Wings
• Dinners — Lasagna, Chicken Finger Plate, Chicken Wing Plate, Spaghetti, Chicken Parmesan Dinner
• Subs — (Oven Baked) Meatball, Philly Cheesteak, Philly Cheesesteak Supreme, Chicken Supreme, Chicken & Cheese, Chicken Parmesan, (Oven Baked or Cold Subs) Italian, American, Ham and Cheese, Turkey and Cheese, Veggie, Tuna, Chicken Salad
• Strombolis (aka Calzones) — Chicken Bacon Ranch, Meat, Supreme, Philly Cheesesteak Supreme, Chicken and Cheese, Buffalo Chicken, BBQ Chicken, Hawaiian, Italian, Bacon Cheeseburger, Meatball, Build Your Own
• Work of Art Pizzas — (Toppings) Pepperoni, Beef, Sausage, Ham, Bacon, Onions, Red Onions, Green Peppers, Diced Tomatoes, Mushrooms, Black Olives, Pineapple, Jalapenos, Banana Peppers, Grilled Steak, Grilled Chicken, Meatballs, Feta Cheese
• Specialty Pizza — Meat, Ultimate Supreme, Supreme Filly Cheesesteak, Chicken Supreme, Buffalo Chicken, BBQ Chicken, Chicken Bacon Ranch, Hawaiian, Bacon Cheeseburger, Veggie
• Works of Art… Featured Items — Taco Pizza, BLT, Hawaiian Punch
• Salads — House, Greek, Antipasto, American, Tuna, Chicken Salad, Grilled Chicken, Fried Chicken, Buffalo Chicken, Side Salad, Side Greek Salad
• Kids Menu — Personal Pizza (one topping), Chicken Finger Plate
• Desserts — Chocolate Chip Pizza, Cinnamon Pizza, Pineapple Pizza
• Drinks — Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Mello Yello, Fanta Orange, Dr. Pepper, Lemonade
Michelangelo’s also has its “Lightning Fast Lunch Specials” which McNamara said are designed to accommodate the needs of the restaurat’s friends who need lunch and need it in a hurry.
“This town is huge for lunch,” McNamara said. “There’s a lot of industry here and a lot of people who work in those industries and have a short time frame for lunch. We’ve designed our lunch menu to take care of folks in a short time frame with a price of under $8 with their drink.”
With Lightning Fast Lunch Specials Micheangelo’s friends have the option of choosing from:
• Any of its signature subs which will serve with chips and “The Pickle.”
• Chicken Strip Basket served with Waffle Fries and “The Pickle.”
• Spaghetti served with garlic bread and side salad.
• Any of its signature salads.
One of the unique features of Michelangelo’s is that unlike other pizza restaurants it has a drive-thru which McNamara said enables friends to pick up their meals without getting out of their cars. He added that those who use the drive-thru should order their food in advance, either by phone (864-427-0464) or through the restaurant’s website (www.michelangelospizzaunion.com).
“Even though you can come in your car it still takes 8-9 minutes to prepare a pizza,” McNamara said. “Call ahead is preferred, that way there is no delay.”
An alternative to ordering over the phone is ordering online, which McNamarra said provide the friend with the opportunity to order online specials that are not available on the restaurant’s menu. He said that whether they order over the phone or online, friends will have their meals quickly prepared by restaurant staff for either pickup or delivery.
McNamara said Michelangelo’s staff will deliver orders to friends within a 6-7 mile radius of the restaurant.
Hours Of Operation
Michelangelo’s Pizza is open seven days a week and its hours are 10:30 a.m.-10 p.m. Sunday-Thursday and 10:30 a.m.-11 p.m. Friday and Saturday.
For more information about Michelangelo’s Pizza and/or to place an order, call 864-427-0464 or go online at www.michelangelospizzaunion.com.
Charles Warner can be reached at 864-762-4090.