Friday, Aug. 28
• Clemson Extension Service will have a Fencing School to teach farmers, gardeners and other interested parties how to put up a fence. The school will be held from 11 a.m.-5:30 p.m. at the Clemson Extension Service, 1100 West Floyd Baker Blvd., Suite C, Gaffney. The school costs $15 per participant. For more information go to calendar.clemson.edu/events/fencing_school or call Amy at 1-864-489-3141, Ext. 114.
Monday, Aug. 31
• Delta Kappa Gamma meets at Foster Park Elementary School at 4 p.m. All members are encouraged to attend.
Tuesday, Sept. 1
• The Union County Beekeepers Association will meet at 6 p.m. in the Clemson Extension Meeting Room at the fairgrounds.
Jennifer Tsuruda, Clemson University Cooperative Extension’s apiculture specialist will present an informative program.
Light refreshments are served at 6 p.m. and program begins at 6:30 p.m. Everyone interested in bees is encouraged to attend.
Clemson University Cooperative Extension Service offers its programs to people of all ages, regardless of race, color, gender, religion, national origin, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, marital or family status and is an equal opportunity employer.
Thursday, Sept. 3
• The Community Prayer Meeting will be observed at noon at the USC-U gazebo.
Please come and join with fellow citizens of Union County, and with others in other places as we pray for our country, our community, our state, and also for our world, and for the Church. Please pray for our military and our police, who risk their lives to serve and protect us.
If you can’t get there, please take some time for special prayer during the day. All are welcome.
Alzheimer’s Support Group
The Alzheimer’s Support Group meets the first Tuesday of every month in the Grace United Methodist Church Parlor at 5:30 p.m.
Friends On Main Open Fridays
Great News! Friends on Main, 126 East Main Street, is open every Friday from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Bring a box and shop!
Potters Storehouse 2015 Schedule
The Potters Storehouse will hold its 2015 food distributions on the following dates:
Wednesday, Sept. 9
Wednesday, Sept. 23
Wednesday, Oct. 14
Wednesday, Oct. 28
Wednesday, Nov. 11
Wednesday, Nov. 24
Wednesday, Dec. 9
Wednesday, Dec. 19
Distribution time for each event will be 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
In case of bad weather, snow or ice, The Potters Storehouse will follow the Union County School District schedule (delays/closings).
For more information call Pastor Don Moore at 864-680-3465.
Volunteers are needed.
The Jonesville Town Festival Committee is looking for volunteers to help with the festival which will take place on Sept. 19, 2015. Also, if there are any vendors that are interested in reserving booths, feel free to contact Randy Spencer at 864-426-2219 or Betsy Thompson at 674-6799.
This is a community function. All are welcome. We will look forward to hearing from you.
The Jonesville High School Class of 1973 is planning their 43rd class reunion. If interested in attending contact Dianne West at 674-0994 or Barbara Baldwin at 429-1262 and leave a message.
• The Union Lions Club is collecting used/unwanted eyeglasses, hearing aids and cell phones. There is a collection box outside of the Lions Club building, located at 134 E. Main Street, Union. Donated items are refurbished and donated to those in need or sold for money that directly benefits those in need of hearing and vision services. Questions? Contact Lion Kelli Johnston at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Union County Arts Council hosts “Painting with Coffee” each Tuesday from 10 a.m.-noon at the UCAC gallery on Main Street in Union. Whether you are a beginner, or a lifelong artists join us every Tuesday morning at 10 a.m.!Come join in and work on your art project while you enjoy spending time, and having coffee, with other like-minded artists. For more information call UCAC at 864-429-2817 or email email@example.com.
• The Union County Arts Council hosts Corky Canvas every Friday at 6 p.m. Who needs a FUN night out? All you need are a few friends, a favorite drink, and we provide the rest! Our very talented teacher, Brandy Ketterman will help you create a masterpiece to take home! Each week we will have a different theme. $30 members/$35 non-members Please pre-register.
Items for Community Calendar can be submitted to The Union Daily Times by email to UDTnews@civitasmedia.com, by fax to 864-427-1237, by mail to Community Calendar, 100 Times Boulevard, Union, S.C. 29379 or in person at our office, 100 Times Boulevard in Union. Items will run on a space available basis.
Eagles are majestic birds that soar high above the earth inspiring awe in all those who see them. Is it any wonder then that the Bald Eagle is the symbol of the United States of America. For that matter, is it any wonder that the eagle is also the symbol of Foster Park Elementary School and that its students are called eagles who are encouraged by their teachers to soar academically and intellectually. The new school year is just getting under way, but lets all hope that the young eagles of Foster Park Elementary School and their counterparts at all of Union County’s schools soar this year and throughout their lives.