UNION COUNTY — The Union County High School JROTC Yellow Jacket Battalion held its annual awards ceremony on April 20 to recognize cadets for outstanding performance throughout the year.
Parents who volunteered to help with various battalion events were recognized and received Certificates of Appreciation and Midway BBQ gift certificates for their support.
The following cadets were recognized during the awards ceremony:
• Big Buck GNCC T-Shirts: C/1LT Ivanna Bell, C/FSG Dimitri Dean, C/1LT Blake Johnson, C/SFC Michael Phillips, C/PVT Coby Roberts, C/SGT Gavin Vanderford, and C/PFC Katie Wagner served on the color guard.
• C/SGT Gavin Vanderford received the Outstanding Color Guard member.
• C/CSM Xavier Nelson received the Outstanding Rifle Team member.
• Physical Fitness Awards: C/SGT Trey Best, C/1LT Dillon Earls, C/1LT Blake Johnson, C/SFC Michael Phillips, C/LTC Kolby Riddle, C/1LT Ivanna Bell, C/SGT April Shugart, C/CPL Cherry Levesque, C/PVT Lea Wisham and C/PVT Alexandria Hall. As the top male and female, C/SGT Trey Best and C/1LT Ivanna Bell
• Outstanding Cadet Officer Award went to C/LTC Kolby Riddle
• Outstanding Cadet NCO Award went to C/FSG Dimitri Dean
• SFC(R) Franklin McCullough presented the Army Instructor Leadership Development Ribbon to: C/PVT Alex Burns, C/PVT Mary Bush, C/CPL Racheal Clevenger, C/ Korbin Fowler, C/PVT Alexandria Hall, C/PVT Logan Hobson, C/PVT Dalen McMunn, C/PVT Jasmine Sanchez, C/PVT Coby Roberts and C/PFC Katie Wagner
• SFC(R) Franklin McCullough presented the Army Instructor Leadership Award to C/CPL Cherry Levesque
• Command Sergeant Major (R) Doug Gilliam presented the Senior Army Instructor Leadership Development Ribbon to C/PVT Lea Wisham, C/PFC Kristian Davis, C/PFC Michael Hunt, C/CPL Alexandria Belue, C/SGT Trey Best, C/SGT Deanta Spencer, C/SGT Gavin Vanderford and C/SGT Ryan Vinson
• C/SGT Devin Bennett received the Senior Army Instructor Award.
• The Marine Corps League Award was presented by CSM (R) Doug Gilliam to C/MSG Matthew Roberts
• C/1LT Dillon Earls won the JROTC Essay Contest Award.
• C/PVT Sydney Thompson received the Board of Education and Trustees Award.
• CSM Doug Gilliam presented the Academic Excellence Award to C/CPL Bryan Good, C/CPL Dallis Pierce, C/SGT Trey Best and C/PFC Katie Wagner
• The West Point Association Leadership Award presented to C/1LT Dillon Earls
• Mr. Freddie Thompson presented the National Sojourner’s Award to C/1LT Dillon Earls
• Members of the SC Grand Lodge presented the Grand Lodge AFM Award to C/CSM Xavier Nelson
• SFC (R) presented the Military Officers Association Award to C/1LT Ivanna Bell.
• Mr. Freddie Thompson presented the Scottish Rite of Freemasonary Award to C/MAJ Zachary Lowe
• C/1LT Blake Johnson was presented with the Sons of the American Revolution Award.
• Department of the Army Superior Cadet Awards were presented by SFC (R) Franklin McCullough to: LET 1- C/SGT RJ Sanders, LET 2- C/MSG Matthew Roberts, LET 3- C/FSG Dimitri Dean, LET 4- C/LTC Kolby Riddle
• CSM (R) Gilliam presented the “C’Mon Man Award” to C/PFC Michael Hunt
• CSM (R) Gilliam presented UCHS Letter Jackets to UCHS Rifle Team to Cadets R.J. Sander, Ryan Vinson, Matthew Roberts and Xavier Nelson.
C/PFC Katie Wagner is a member of the Union County High School JROTC Yellow Jacket Battalion.