UNION — The City of Union has proudly proclaimed and supported the month of April as “Fair Housing Month” in the City of Union for a number of years. Each year the City Council proclaims the month of April as Fair Housing Month in order to remind all citizens in the City of Union of the importance of equal access to housing opportunities.
The federal government established the Fair Housing Act under Title VIII of the Civil Rights Act of 1968. In 1989, the State of South Carolina enacted the South Carolina Fair Housing Law. In an effort to ensure equal opportunities to all persons, the law prohibits discrimination based on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status or national origin in the sale, rental or provision of housing services. The law protects the rights of citizens and gives everyone access to rental housing and home ownership anywhere they can afford to live.
The City of Union offers Fair Housing information in the lobby of the City Hall. You will easily recognize the Fair Housing symbol on posters, displays, in realty offices, and rental offices in and around the city. The Fair Housing symbol is an equal sign surrounded by the outline of a house. This symbol is a reminder that equal housing opportunities are the right of all citizens.
The Fair Housing law gives each citizen the right to:
• Choose where you live, any residence that you can afford.
• Be shown any listed property that is being offered for sale or rent by real estate spokespersons, leasing agents, and brokers for which you are income eligible.
• Have the same rental agreement and terms as other renters at the property.
• Consideration for financing from banks, lending institutions, saving and loans, and and mortgage lenders.
• Have the same terms and conditions on loans as other home buyers.
If you need any assistance regarding Fair Housing and your rights to fair and equal access to housing contact the Human Affairs Commission, 2611 Forest Drive, Suite 200, Columbia, SC 29240 or call toll free at 800-521-0725.
Harold Thompson is the Mayor of the City of Union.