UNION COUNTY — The annual update of the Union County School District’s 5-Year Strategic Plan and the calendar for the 2017-2018 school were on the agenda of the March meeting of the Union County Board of School Trustees.
Monday’s meeting began when Superintendent Dr. William Roach presented the board with the proposed calendar for the 2017-2018 school year. The calendar schedules the following events for following months of the new school year:
• August 2017
— Aug. 11 — Staff Development Day
— Aug. 14-16 — Staff Development Day
— Aug. 17 — First Day of School
— Aug. 21 — Staff Development Day
• September 2017
— Sept. 4 — Labor Day Holiday
• October 2017
— Oct. 17 — End of 1st Nine Weeks
— Oct. 19 — Parent Conference/Extended Day
— Oct. 20 — Parent Conference/Half Day (Staff)
• November 2017
— Nov. 22-24 — Thanksgiving Holidays
• December 2017
— Dec. 21 — Half Day; End of 1st Semester
— Dec. 22-29 — Winter Break
• January 2018
— Jan. 1-4 — Winter Holidays
— Jan. 5 — Staff Development Day
— Jan. 8 — Students Return
— Jan. 15 — MLK Holiday
• February 2018
— Feb. 19 — Staff Development Day (Snow Make-Up Day)
• March 2018
— March 13 — End of 3rd Nine Weeks
— March 15 — Parent Conference/Extended Day
— March 16 — Parent Conference/Half Day (Staff)
— March 21 — 135th Day
• April 2018
— April 2-6 — Spring Break
• May 2018
— May 25 — UCHS Graduation
— May 29-30 — Half Day for Students
— May 30 — Last Day for Students/180th Day
— May 31 — Staff Development (Snow Make-Up Day)
The board voted unanimously to approve the 2017-2018 calendar.
Chief Academic Officer Cindy Langley then presented the board with the updated version of the district’s 5-Year Strategic Plan.
“The Strategic Plan is written every five years and updated each year,” Langley said in an interview with The Union Times Thursday morning. “This plan was actually written in 2015-16 and it went into effect for 2016-17 through 2020-21. This year we updated the baseline data to indicate the scores from the 2015-16 school year.”
Langley said that the Strategic Plan serves as a grading system for the district’s efforts to achieve the goals laid out in the plan. She said the system helps the district assess each year’s performance in meeting those goals.
“Basically, the plan grades us as we plan professional development and instructional activities to address areas of weakness,” Langley said. “We established goals in three areas: teacher quality, school climate, and student achievement. In conducting the needs assessment we review surveys from parents, students, and teachers; analyze testing data; and evaluate professional development activities. Next year we will assess how well our plans helped us to meet our targets in those areas.”
In addition, Langley said the Strategic Plan is also used as part of the district’s federal plans for Title I and Title II and Advanced Education Accreditation.
The board voted unanimously to approve the updated Strategic Plan.
In other business, the board also voted unanimously to a plan proposed by Roach that includes the following changes for the 2017-2018 school year:
• A standard student-teacher ratio of 21.5 students per teacher in each classroom.
• The hiring of an assistant principal for Monarch Elementary School.
• Restructuring the position of CATE Director to focus exclusively on the development of the Career Center instead of being divided between the center and Union County High School.
• Upgrading the Director of Student Services from part-time to full-time to allow the director to fully oversee the department.
The board also voted unanimously to approve the Personnel Report presented by Personnel Director Jeff Stribble who recommended the following individuals be appointed to the following positions for the 2016-2017 school year:
• Stacy McAbee — Principal at Buffalo Elementary School
• Amy Austin — Student Records Clerk at Union County High School
• Jovonnie Glenn — Special Education Assistant at Union County High School
• Megan Gregory — School Nurse at Sims Middle School.
Stribble also recommended that the following individuals be appointed to the following position for the 2017-2018 school year:
• Mary Glenn — Special Education Assistant at Union County High School
• Jennifer Knox — Teacher at Buffalo Elementary School
• Ashley Black — Teacher at Buffalo Elementary School
• Cheryl Earl — Media Specialist at Foster Park Elementary School
• Fletcher Bazemore — PE Teacher/Coach at Foster Park Elementary School
• Chelsi Kelly — Special Education Teacher at Union County High School
• Lauren Cassels — Science Teacher at Union County High School
• Richard Boulware — Support Specialist for Medicaid and Related Services at Special Services
Charles Warner can be reached at 864-762-4090.